Board index » General Forum

Post subject: Importing a 4003 to the UK - CITES restrictions
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:07 am 

Hi,
I am planning on buying a new 4003 bass in the New York and bring it back to the UK. Given the massive difference between UK and US prices this is still a viable proposition, even when taking account of import duty and VAT.
However, it has come to my attention that there may be a problem because of the woods used in the 4003. Apparently I may be required to produce a certificate stating that the Rosewood in the fretboard was not sourced from Brazil if it was produced after January 2017. For instruments that pre-date the international CITES agreement I may need a certificate which states that the instrument is exempt from this restriction.

Could you tell me if your new instruments come with any such certification, or if not, how I should go about obtaining whatever documentation I may need to satisfy UK customs on my arrival back in Manchester?

Thanks so much
Sarah

Post subject: Re: Importing a 4003 to the UK - CITES restrictions
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:53 pm 

To be honest I highly doubt they will look that much into it, these guys will be looking for rosewood figures, furniture etc bought from possible dubious places rather a guitar fretboard made by a famous American guitar company.

Ten years ago I bought a 325c64 in New York. At that time the exchange rate was around $2 to the pound so my guitar cost less than half the price than if I had bought it here. Upon my return to Glasgow there was a group who had guitars etc on the flight, customs guys asked me what was in the box and I said a guitar, and they just let me through, that was the cherry on top!

Post Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:50 pm 

I found this online, seems to be more of an issue if you were getting it shipped from the US, but if you are bringing it back with you it shouldn’t be an issue

However, you can still travel freely with your guitar, by road or air, as long as you are with it and it has less than 10kg or 22lbs of regulated (rosewood) materials – So that effectively covers any guitar – As such you can visit the UK, buy a guitar, then take it back with you outside the EU – Likewise visit the USA and bring the guitar back on the plane with you – In either case, no CITES certificate required if the guitar is for personal use and you are traveling with it – But you can no longer have it shipped, via a courier, without CITES

Post Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:11 pm 

You should be totally okay with bringing the 4003 back to the UK with you. There are no CITES restricted materials in the bass. The "rosewood" is not the rosewood they are looking for as it is not a rosewood, it is just commonly called Caribbean rosewood but it is really Chechen, a non listed wood. The rest of the bass is maple and walnut, so no worries there, either.

In addition to that, you are traveling with a personal instrument, not something that is to be sold (we are assuming such, anyway, from what you said). If you do have any issues, it may be from an unknowledgeable, and possible, overzealous customs agent, not because there are any issues with the bass, itself.

Hope this helps.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:50 am 

The change from bubinga (African rosewood) to chechen (Caribbean rosewood) took place in the fall of 2011. So, pretty much anything made after that is not subject to CITES restrictions.

As of January 2017, bubinga was added to the CITES II list. This means that if you ship older instruments you may need to get proper documentation.

Hand carrying an instrument should not be a problem. I carried a 4004 with a bubinga fretboard from the U.S. to New Zealand last October and had no questions asked other than "what's in the case?" to which I responded, "a guitar."

Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:27 pm 

I personally would not do it. The difference between UK and US prices is not worth it if your guitar is confiscated. Read the following article, with particular focus on the last few paragraphs.
https://ibma.org/press/archives/you-cant-take-my-guitar-what-every-traveling-musician-should-know-about-cites

Your guitar can be seized if a border agent suspects non-compliance with CITES, regardless of any documentation you may have. :(

Board index » General Forum