Board index » General Forum

Post subject: Aftermarket 370-12RM Circuit Board?
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:19 pm 

John: do you think that RIC would have any objections if someone offered an aftermarket version of the 370-12RM compressor circuit board for folks to retrofit into their stock 370s?

Len Moskowitz

Post subject: Re: Aftermarket 370-12RM Circuit Board?
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 5:05 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes, I'm afraid we would. This is a proprietary circuit that's still protected by copyright (as opposed to patent or trademark). It was intended to be and marketed as a limited edition, so it would be a breach of the faith to the purchasers of the originals, as well as Roger McGuinn to allow such production.

This will be the year we'll likely litigate over this issue due to lack of response by a party that has apparently violated this copyright.

As a practical matter, the availability of more advanced IC's really make this a moot issue as this circuit could be far more effectively designed today without some of the negative factors such as high current drain and the inverse voltage gated compressor which makes the circuit unstable with a low battery.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:33 am 

Best of luck with the litigation. Circuit copyrights are a lot harder to defend than trademarks or patents.

Len

Post Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:15 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I would say they are harder than patents but easier than trademarks, based on, unfortunately, long experience in this area.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:07 am 

We all know Tone Werks makes the old Byrd's custom wiring and Vox Treble Booster mod, but I don't think they make any reproductions of the Compressor.

I'm sure many people have been under the McGuinn pickguard who understand guitar effects and basic electronics.

For the most part the only way I'm getting one unfortunately is to spend $5,600.00 for a low number 370/12RM

Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:49 pm 

(Note: I'm not a lawyer so you should *not* take this as legal advice.)

RIC has a right to defend its commercial rights. That doesn't have to stop you from modifying your own 370-12.

As I understand it, copyright (and perhaps even patent) law might allow you to make one for yourself as long as you don't sell it. And the law might be a bit ambiguous if you make them and *give* them away (not sell them).

Getting a bit closer to the edge of what might or might not be legal, you could provide a kit and then have the buyer arrange to assemble them.

But then don't be surprised if one day your mail brings a "cease and desist" order and a summons to appear in court for a damages trial.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:46 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

One point to note- the IC that was used on this circuit was the heart of the sound. They are long out of business and there is no equivalent component that sounds the same. You can certainly find a similar op amp function but there was something very distinctive about this chip that made it what it was.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:28 am 

Len, you and I talked about this years ago, I remember. Good to see you still around.

I have a unit that has been lying around here that is not working. Do you think you might like to take a look at it and see if you could figure out what is wrong? I know it's not the chip as I swapped the chip with another unit last year and the defect did not follow the chip.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:46 am 

Bob: nice to see you here.

Send it over. I'll have a look at it when I have a moment.

Len

Post Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:47 am 

Quote:
I have a unit that has been lying around here that is not working.

Hey, Bob! It is a small world. I wondered what happened to alt.guitar.rickenbacker. I'm glad to know where everyone went!

Is this the board I had? I'd love to know what you find out about it.

Mike

Board index » General Forum