Board index » General Forum

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 329 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 33  Next
 Post subject: Re: RIC OWNERS SURVEY-how many you own?
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:55 am 

Quote:
Well, to be honest I don't really know how many guitars I have. It's over 200; that much I know. Then I have about 30 basses in addition to that.

Mr. Hall--What would be really cool would be a book about your collection!

Post Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:00 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
" ... it's 4/15/1950 , I know for sure :-)

Well, I know "for sure" also.

It was merely a typo on my part. Hmmm, hmmm, hmmm!

-April 15 of any year is most memorable for me too as a native citizen of The States. It's deadline date for filing federal income tax!

How are things going for ya over in Germany these days?

Thanks davclr for asking about how it is going over here ! Well , the dollar/euro exchange-rate is causing to think about bringing over another Rick :-)) As 4/15/1950 is my own birthday and since I realized that it's the same day as JH 's ...it really makes me think about coincidences...

..so I'm (still)59, married, one daughter(22). I got 5 Ricks:
*360/12V64 JG (Aug '96), bought xmas/new year 2001/2002 in Suisse
*a modified 330 JG (April '97) with an addedHB1 in the middle and a B5, bought spring 2004 in Bavaria
*360V64 FG (July '97), bought summer 2004 in Munich
*360/12 FG (Okt '05), bought xmas 2007 in USA
*380 L PZ (April '98), bought xmas 2008 in USA
...rickin' all over the world :-)

all were purchased used..two April kids ..
here they are : http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee27 ... 0_2674.jpg

Post Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:20 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
Just curious John, have you ever owned a guitar other than a Ric and if so what? Along those same lines, other than Rickenbacker, which guitar company do you appreciate the most based on their product and quality?
I've had a variety of no name guitars over the years, all of which have simply disappeared. Where did they go?

I'm a fan of any guitar built by George Lowden; I'm talking about the real Lowdens, not the abortions that other compnay made with his name. Any guitar George has made is a magnificent instrument of the highest quality.

I'm sure there's plenty of really good instruments I've never seen or remember the name of. There were some Austrian electrics, for instance, that were simply stunning that appeared on one show awhile ago.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:35 am 

xpiit,
Wow, really very nice Ric collection!

-It still gives chills to my spine every time I see a photo of a Ric from abroad.

I think this has a lot to with the fact that Rics are a home-grown Southern California product and that the Ric factory is about 60 miles from my home.

I can only imagine the conservations that must have went on on in "the house of Hall" when Mr. F.C. Hall first discovered that John Lennon owned and was playing one of his products! And that specific Ric already a "semi-famous" rare-model Ric at that, having been around the country at various trade shows and then back to factory for the new wiring/4 control knob mod.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:19 am 

Quote:
Both are really anomalies in a way; they just happen to be the ones where the sun, moon, stars . . . okay, the wood, lined up in an auspicious moment. Generally this happens more often in newer instruments and I think you'll find that some "adjustments" to the latest basses will make them equal to or surpass these two instruments on a consistent basis.

I have to agree in that all of my new Rics, once "dialed in" properly, are absolutely SICK (you know, the good kind of sick). I am talking about a 2007 and 2009 4003 and a 2008 4003FL. The 2007 and 2008 required some adjusting from shipment but are now on par with instruments twice as expensive, or so I (passionately) believe. The 2009 didn't require the least bit of adjustment except lowering the bridge height a bit.

Setup and technique are huge. I just played my 4003FL this morning using the classical guitarist's sitting position, as Gary Willis recommends in one of his books. It made the bass sound even more like an upright than before; that is to say, it nailed what an upright sounds like. Probably because of my right hand's new angle on the strings (more like 45 degrees rather than 90).

I love my Ric basses!!

Post Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:14 am 

I have three RICs

a 1990 325V59 - bought used in a small shop in Cologne, Germany in 1994, I think
a 1999 650AVH - bought used at the Guitar Center in Danvers, MA in 1999 (the previous owner could not have had it for more than a few weeks)
a 2005 650D - bought new at Tewksbury Music, MA in 2005

It seems 2012 would be an ideal year to buy my next RIC ;-) ...

"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." (Elvis Costello)

Post Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:40 am 

Quote:

Doc,
2012 is the end of the world according to the Mayan and Aztec calendars, so you should buy it before and at least you can die happy.

Zurdo

Post Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:57 am 

Quote:
I have three RICs

a 1990 325V59 - bought used in a small shop in Cologne, Germany in 1994, I think
a 1999 650AVH - bought used at the Guitar Center in Danvers, MA in 1999 (the previous owner could not have had it for more than a few weeks)
a 2005 650D - bought new at Tewksbury Music, MA in 2005

Doc, what happened to the new 325C64 you bought in the States a couple of years back?

Post Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:15 pm 

Quote:
Doc, what happened to the new 325C64 you bought in the States a couple of years back?

I think I spotted a short scale Rick on ebay some time ago, right , Markus ? Can't remember exactly which model, I knew the seller was you, Markus, as I bought a Toaster some time ago from you. I was wandering why you were selling that guitar.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:41 pm 

I was not happy wih the 325C64 for a number of reasons. I did not like the roller bridge, the vibrato and the 7k toasters. First I tried to modify the guitar with a different wiring, trapeze tailpiece and standard bridge, which maybe I should not have done, although with the trapeze tailpiece and standard bridge the playability was really improved. In the end I was frustrated and sold the guitar.

The C-series is for those who want exact replicas of historic models. I love the 320/325 but I prefer a more modern version with better playability like my modified 325V59.

For a brief time in between I also had a 620, a 360 and a 650C, but as they were not as good as my other RICs for me and as I am always short of money ;-), I sold these as well. I only keep guitars, that I am satisfied with a 100%. In case of the 620 I sometimes regret it, as it was a beautiful looking and sounding guitar, but unfortunately the neck profile was much to beefy for my taste.

"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." (Elvis Costello)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 329 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 33  Next

Board index » General Forum