Board index » General Forum

Post subject: Why did RIC close down their UK office?
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:36 pm 

Just something that I've wondered about for a while and never understood, but why did the RIC offices in Bury UK close? It's not that I'm knocking the current distribution methods within the UK and it's an old thing as it happened a few years ago now,but if I have any queries about availability of models, spares etc, the difference in responses is marked. Whenever I spoke to RIC in Bury the answers were always prompt and accurate as I was dealing with the company direct as it were. The current UK distributors are fine but it's not the same as talking to the company itself, also bearing in mind that this company are not just dealing with Rickenbacker but other companies to, including Gibson. Another little thing that I can't understand at times is the availability of colours in the UK. All stock colours are available, but sometimes I can go to US based dealers on the internet and see for example a Fireglo 350v63
whereas in the UK the only available colour for that particular model seems to be Jetglo.I do appreciate that in the scale of things the UK market is bound to be smaller and maybe that reason in tandem with other market forces is what leads RIC to market differently here and was probably the reaon for the closure of the UK offices, but could you shed some light please?? I love my Rics and have had many over the years but it would be great to see a larger profile for the company here in the UK.

Post subject: Re: Why did RIC close down their UK office?
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:25 am 

they had a company in the UK?

Post Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:47 am 

There was an office in the UK yes. Believe it dealt with Europe as well as the UK in managing RIC distribution.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:16 pm 

The deal with "Rose, Morris & Co. LTD" ended in 1969...

But were you thinking about an other UK distributor, before Rickenbacker International Corp.?

Post Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:01 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Rickenbacker International (U.K.) was closed in 1992 as I recall. Two things happened which caused this to happen.

First, some signifcant changes were made in the U.S. tax code which made it very difficult to justify the existence of this company. Along with this at that time were some significant currency shifts that made it difficulty to stabilize the pricing. The accounting due to owning a foreign company became a major nightmare.

Second, Rosetti approached us with their program, which was and still is an excellent fit to our business plan. As a long existing company with much wider coverage than we ever had, it was a very easy decision to make. The sales volumes immediately increased and I know that their incoming inspection program is much better than we ever had. Finally, they have made ever effort to stock the line in much greater depth but the problem is shortages from our side- they only get a fraction of what they order.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:32 am 

Thanks John! Question answered.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:25 pm 

Good info - thanks John !! I find Rosetti an excellent firm to deal with

Post Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:04 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Rosetti is a GREAT firm! It's a very well managed company, rock solid, with people that care about music and our industry. I can't believe it sometimes when they're vilified for, heaven forbid, pricing their product to make a profit, as well as paying their fair share of all of the requisite taxes, duties, government charges, and E.U. levies (which I think a few unauthorized sources skirt).

They plow back significant portions of those profits to hold clinics, provide full warranty service and parts, full checkout and setup, if necessary before shipment (they send me a QA report on each guitar!), and bring the product to shows throughout the U.K. and Ireland. They're an on-going business, with, what, a 100 year tradition?

Case in point: http://www.rosetti.co.uk/news/ml2003.htm

Any lack of inventory, guitars or parts, is not due to their negligence but rather our inability here to produce and get items to them fast enough.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:41 am 

I should mention here that I was not having a dig at Rosetti!! If it were not for them I wouldn't have my guitars! If it came over that way I appologise. The main thrust of the question was the closure of Ric (UK),which has been clarified. The only reason I asked the question is because at the time I do not recall any mention of the closure in the music press over here. Only found out that something and changed when I tried to contact them and it was a while later that I noted a ric advert with a Rosetti address. A question based purely on interest and nothing more!!

Post Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:01 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Rich, I didn't read your message that way- I was referring to the whinging that always seems to be going on out there in a variety of forums.

Board index » General Forum