Board index » General Forum

Post subject: Lighter FG feedback for Mr. Hall or any FG fan
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:32 pm 

Hello Mr. Hall and fellow Ric lovers. I am a relative new guy to the Ric world. I read a post that discussed EPA, solvents and a bit of a yellow tine. All the 05 330's or 360's I have seen have been simply lighter, pinky, no tint.

Respectfully, I have not yet heard anyone say that they actually liked it. I traded away my 05 360 (Jan or Feb 05 Manufacture date, bought thru MF) primarily due to the lighter pinky color.

Has your feedback suggested that folks don't like these lighter colors. I know there is always variation in handmade finishes but it is pretty extreme and over a wide range of guitars. I was thinking of ordering a new 330/6 FG from MF but am afraid it will be one of these lighter pinky guitars. I did by an 04 360/12 from POTR that is a beautiful darker FG.

I regret selling a 95 330/6 a couple years ago.

Do you know if the later 05's that a company like MF probably recently recieved would be from a darker lot?

Thank you for your time.

Post subject: Re: Lighter FG feedback for Mr. Hall or any FG fan
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:48 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

There is no such thing as darker or lighter Fireglo- the tint has always remained the same. the problem is that people are looking at guitars of all areas, which have each received varying degrees of exposure to sunlight which has caused the top coat to yellow. This filtering vastly changes the appearance of the red. Also, it's greatly influenced by the person who shades the instrument; each worker has his own style and even that can vary from day to day. That's the nature where handwork is involved.

The new Amber Fireglo short circuits that aging process, making it look like a vintage finish but of course years from now it will have aged to something else as well.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:16 pm 

I understand your description of the pink tint in the lighter parts of the fireglo color scheme. I have an '04 4003 in fg that HAD a pinkish tint, but that is already fading somewhat to more of an amber type (too many smoky bars?) finish. I liked it before and I like it now. I'm sure that 20 years from now, it'll still look stunning. As far as anybody liking the finish, there are tons of us that love this finish. Most any finish other than jetglo (black) is going to change over time.
In a related topic, I wonder what finishes, excepting COY, are most popular with customers. In other words, which standard finishes sell the most?

Post Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:40 pm 

I personally LOVE the lighter "pinkish" Fireglo... I love the darker one too, but my 360/12 sees no sunlight (night gigs and a windowless studio) and has maintained it's original tint and I hope to keep it that way.

But in a couple weeks I WILL be ordering an AFG on something so I'll have a darker example too!

Post Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:19 am 

"There is no such thing as darker or lighter Fireglo- the tint has always remained the same. the problem is that people are looking at guitars of all areas, which have each received varying degrees of exposure to sunlight which has caused the top coat to yellow."

I've heard you say this before, but I still find it hard to believe, as I've seen so many different varieties of fireglo on NEW instruments over the years.

I can tell you that there is no apparent color shifts on my '84 330, which has a dark amber-ish fireglo. Just the other night I had the pickguard off and could plainly see the exact same shade of fireglo under the pickguard, where it had no expose to light.

The only other fireglo Rick I've ever seen with that coloring was a 1981 320 I used to own.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:49 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

At the same time you'll recall Kevin posting in another forum you frequent a picture of a guitar he had from the similar era without a pickguard. You can clearly see the outline of the guard and the tremendous color shift.

The difference is likely that your guitar has been stored in the case while his was out where the sun hit it.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:04 am 

That may well be, but the main point I was making is my unfaded '84 fireglo looks very little like any fireglo I've seen on brand new guitars from about the late '80s to the present - it's darker, with a tobacco'y center. (It looks similar to the amber fireglo you've just introduced.) Yet you have often stated "There is no such thing as darker or lighter Fireglo- the tint has always remained the same," which I find a curious statement.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:16 am 

Thank you all for your input. The guitars I refer to were defineately pinky. Maybe I acted prematurely and my 05 360 may have turned darker. Still a very beautiful instrument regardless of a color preference.

I do need to add, Rickenbacker guitars are the without a doubt the most flawless, easy playing guitars right out of the factory I have ever seen. As far as value, I think Rickenbacker give a lot of bang for the buck. They are just so comfortable to hold and play. I am not telling you guys anything new.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:09 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
. . .my unfaded '84 fireglo looks very little like any fireglo I've seen on brand new guitars from about the late '80s to the present - it's darker, with a tobacco'y center.
That just means the shader laid it on a bit thick that day, nothing more. We often do this intentionally still if there's a bit of the wood that's not so attractive and it's near the perimeter or edge of the instrument.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:23 am 

Beat, doesn't it seem a bit unlikely that RIC would use so many different tints of FG, even during the same year?

More likely (and a fact) that the guitars have aged differently due to light and climatic conditions.

Board index » General Forum