Board index » General Forum

Post subject: Signature sound or arsenal of guitars
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:52 am 

Just curious how many out in Ric land are "signature sound" kind of people, that is, you are always seen with only one type of guitar on stage (and perhaps one amp) and that is your signature sound. Also curious how many out there bring out multiple guitars to a gig (ex. Gretsch for gretsch songs, Ric for Ric songs, strat for strat songs, lp for lp songs, etc.). Is it better to work within the inherent limitations of a certain guitar (which may spark creativity), or to match up the style of song with the style of guitar?

Just wondered where people stood on this issue. It's more of a live (stage) question. As I've seen from other posts, many of us own multiple guitars, or even multiple Rics. I'm also curious about those who have listed their arsenal of guitars: which would you keep if you could only keep one?

Post subject: Re: Signature sound or arsenal of guitars
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:53 am 

Briz- For blues, I use either a Les Paul or a '57 re-issue Strat through a B/F Super Reverb. It's been my amp of choice for about 25 years. For British Invasion/60's music, I use a Gretsch 6120 or a Rick-12 through a Vox AC-30tbx. Also good with any of those guitars is a B/F Bassman with the 2x12 closed-back cab. That's what works for me. -Dr.Phil

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:29 am 

I tend to sound the same no matter what guitar I play. It kind of stinks really. Having said that, it doesn't stop me from working on a decent little collection!

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:30 am 

Oh - I have yet to find 'the one' that is above all others. That's why I keep buying guitars.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:18 am 

My favorite guitar? The next one!

That's a collector speaking...as a player, I'm looking for an old fart bunch up here in SF who can help me keep my chops. I played back in the day with a number of different bands from surf to blues to lounge lizard, and my sound changed, but was mostly Fender/Fender or Fender/VOX.

Now, Jeez, if I wuz in a group with one gig a week, it'd be six months before I used the same axe twice. Providing I stopped acquiring during those six months, that is...

I couldn't only keep one. It would be three, and one keyboard.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:18 am 

Briz, whenever I play electric (out), I take my Ric 1997SPC/VB as my main guitar and my 360V64 as backup.

Now I have about 10 other guitars at home; they are used in the studio and for added flavor.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:34 am 

I know we're talking primarily about guitarists here, but as a bassist I only ever had THE ONE sound - Rick 4001. Even when I swapped it out for a Wal with all the coil taps & active circuits I set it as close to a Rick sound, or should that be Rick-O-Sound ;-) as possible. How dumb is that?

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:20 pm 

I only use Rickenbacker gtrs & Marshall amps on stage....in fact, I only own Rickenbacker gtrs & Marshall amps. I can find no better combination & my band have come to be known for 'that' sound.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:26 pm 

I'll always use several guitars, but recently I've been trying to have a more consistent and "signature" sound. My goal by the end of this year is to have all Rics with vintage pickups. I have the 5002v58 and 360/12 with the 660VB on order, so all need now is a hollowbody 6-string. Aside from that, I always use the same amps and no effects when performing, although during recording sessions I occasionally mess around with my setup.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:00 pm 

I'm probably in the Steve Howe, collection of good guitars, but make sure I play them all camp. I think I'd like to have a good example of each particular sound and feel, but not more than one of each. I think I have:
A good Rick 12, 6 and Bass
A good PRS
A good Gretsch
A Good Firebird and Flying V
A Good Les Paul Jr.
A Good Banjo and Martin Acousitic.
A Good Jazz bass.
I have a strat and a les paul. but don't think those are good examples of the model. I recently rid myself of like my 10th tele. Never had a good one yet.
I need a LP Standard, Maple and Rosewood neck Strat , 335, 175, SG, 12 string acoustic, P bass, Frettless bass, Dobro or national, and maybe one other custom of some sort, and I can retire...from buying.

Board index » General Forum