Board index » General Forum

Post subject: Re: Signature sound or arsenal of guitars
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:42 am 

How do you manage to afford all that, Kez? Dear lord!

Post Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:05 pm 

Quote:
How do you manage to afford all that, Kez? Dear lord!

Umm, clean living? Well, for the last decade anyway...

Err, not being married, with children...

However it's also necessary to have a good nose for a bargain, scan the internet as close as you do local shops, have a few guitars up your sleeve for trade ins, have a decent day gig that pays OK, be in a credit union rather than a bank, neglect your doctor and dental visits rather too long, go for weeks with your bills and invoices juggled around or simply chucked in the trash, drive your car without insurance and hope, have a very cool and understanding woman in your life.

There's more of course, but the most important thing is the WILL to do it and go through some hard work and possible sacrifice and trouble, in the end it's been worth it for me!

Cheers, Kez

Post Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:48 am 

I'm out of the "pro" business and play now in my worship team. I tend to use specific guitars for certain songs, though my 360-12 is used most often. Some songs I use my '68 Gibson MM/SG; some I bring out the Guild D55 (with an EMG p/u). Don't use my Ovation 12 much since getting the Ric. We'll see where my 660-12 fits in when it finally arrives!

Post Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:10 am 

Quote:
(...) However, I prefer to think of my 'signature' sound as the style and tonality that my individual playing creates, my 'own sound' as it were, I'll play a screaming lead run on a 350V63 just as ballsy as I will on my Gibson L5S (...)
Check Hendrix on the 'Isle of Wight' set, he uses his personal custom made Gibson Flying V for many of the songs, it's very hard to tell where the Strat stops and the V starts. (...)

That´s exactly why you do not need an arsenal of guitars. One guitar is perfectly enough, if you have got "your sound." If you don´t, an arsenal won´t help.

"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." (Elvis Costello)

Post Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:20 am 

Lately I've either been playing a Ric 620 or a PRS McCarty on stage. Since the Ric has single coils, the PRS lends itself better to heavier distorted sounds. The 60 cycle hum where I play is pretty evident. The PRS clean is nice and bluesy, but the Ric cuts through the mix and has incredible string balance. It would be really hard to choose between these two.

The thought of having a "signature sound" occurred because so few people I know play Rickenbackers. It would be a great guitar to make your signature. Plus it sounds incredible.

In the studio, it is nice to have a lot of choices to spark inspiration and to get the perfect sound.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:39 pm 

Fender Telecaster and a Rickenbacker 4003, and that's all I have and all I forsee needing. I get all the tones I need from either one, never though "I wish I had a different guitar/bass for this song..." I do many different styles of music and like the fact that all the different songs have "that sound" in common.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:02 pm 

Quote:
That´s exactly why you do not need an arsenal of guitars. One guitar is perfectly enough, if you have got "your sound." If you don´t, an arsenal won´t help.

Yeah, but, it doesn't hurt either!

First of all if you are playing a gig or doing some recording one guitar is NOT 'perfectly enough', it's un-professional!

In any case for me it's not just about 'need', it's about what I have had the 'desire' to own since I was a kid.

Guess what, I have realized most of my desires as well as my needs. But there's still room for a few more...

To have a crapload of some of the best sounding and beautiful looking, highly desirable and collectable guitars on the planet isn't always hell on earth you know...

Now what shall I play/buy next, decisions, decisions!

Cheers, Kez

Post Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:57 am 

I play a 330/6 (for the past 6 months) and a Gibson Les Paul Deluxe '81 (for the past 8 years), and I'm a home recording singer/songwriter/multi instrumentalist.

For a very long time, the LP was my only guitar, and I think i'd got a definite 'signature sound' with the guitar work i was doing, so much so that I found it very difficult to break out of it.

I decided to get the 330 partly because of the build quality and aesthetics (i still think its the coolest looking guitar made) and partly because it pretty much the opposite to the LP - Semi as opposed to solid, maple as opposed mahogany, and single coil as opposed to humbuckers. I didn't really know how i'd get on with my Ric, but i'm so glad I've got it because it's inspired me to play in a completely different way to the LP. Now i'm focussing more on writing pop/rock sounding songs instead of the fairly heavy/bluesy/strong lead playing type stuff. It's such a great guitar to just pick up and play, no fuss, and a great sound. But hey, I'm sure most of you guys already know that!

As an aside, I've been really surprised as to how great this guitar is for playing blues. I never really hear of Ric's being associated with that kind of music, but I think it's great and I wish I heard people use em more for lead playing!

Ligumo

Post Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:34 am 

Quote:
As an aside, I've been really surprised as to how great this guitar is for playing blues. I never really hear of Ric's being associated with that kind of music, but I think it's great and I wish I heard people use em more for lead playing!

I agree, my Ricks are used for playing blues, hard rock and a dash of funk, in particular my 2 350V63 guitars which impart that single coil/semi acoustic blues sound!

I never fail to get a load of surprised but favourable comments from other musos about using a Rick to play lead, they CUT through the mix right to the back of the room...

Cheers, Kez

Post Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:05 pm 

Quote:
(...) First of all if you are playing a gig or doing some recording one guitar is NOT 'perfectly enough', it's un-professional! (...)

Yes, I think you are right concerning professional gigs. But I am not a professional performer, so I do not need to take two guitars to a gig. I always take only one guitar with me and I never had any problem. I have got to tune my guitar between the songs, of course. This might be unprofessional, but I haven´t got a roadie anyway.

One of my favourite guitarists, Rory Gallagher (Irish Blues Rock guitarist who was very successful in Europe in the 1970s and 80s), did always play his old Stratocaster and NEVER anything else and he was a professional for sure.

And if you are recording you do not need more than one guitar at all, if you do not WANT to use another guitar, at least if you are recording your own material.

On the other hand I must say that if someone likes to own a hundred guitars that´s perfectly alright with me. It´s an amazing hobby, I am sure.

"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." (Elvis Costello)

Board index » General Forum