Board index » General Forum

Post subject: Re: Signature sound or arsenal of guitars
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:53 pm 

I am definitely in the tools for the trade group. There are two songs I am working on right now and the Ric is perfect for one, but the gibson is the right one for the other. The has other uses and is between the two. I just ordered a baritone guitar from Danelectro so that should add some possibilities as well. If I could keep only one I would be hard pressed between the Ric and the 73 tele deluxe. They are my best guitars out of 8.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:28 pm 

Do you choose the guitar for the song or the song for the guitar? So much depends on the song itself. I try many styles and hear the benefit of matching the guitar to the sound needed. The LP has a bold sound. The Telle has a "bite" The strat has that out of phase soul and the Ric 12 jangles. I think that each guitar lends itself to the song in its own way. For instance a ric 12 would not sound as good on rythmn for "Moondance" as say my accoustic/electric Gibson l-4a does but It sounds great on chris Issak's "let me down easy". I do solo guitar/vocal and I play in a band. For the solo its the gibson for all songs but the songs I'll play are limited by the one voice and one guitar. I do make a good living at it in the Lake Placid NY area so I, if forced to, would choose that. In the band though I line them up. We are original and try many different styles. By the way the Ric 360/12 is about to make it's first appearence at tonight's practice.
Oh, I do have that gibson 335s pro. I could, if forced, choose that for the band. A freaky solid body 335 that they made in '80-82. Shaped like a 335 but solid and about the size of an SG. Dirty finger humbuckers with centertaps so it can approach the sound of the others. Except the ric of course. NOTHING sounds like that except another Ric.
SO MANY GUITARS---SO LITTLE TIME

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:52 pm 

The band I'm in does covers, so we don't have just one sound. I use my 4003FG for the majority of songs, but we have some songs that I play in drop-D. I use my '75 RI Jazz for that. I use my Jazz fretless for any blues song where I'm doing a walking bass line. As far as the amp goes, I use Ashdown and I can get a pretty wide variety of sounds out of it.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:11 pm 

All of my guitars, 360/12, 660/12, squire strat bullet series, epiphone les paul, (both my early guitars, the squire in my opinion sounds and plays better then most of the real fenders ive played) and my room mates 350v63 sound great through my vintage 1968 fender twin reverb with 2 JBL d120-Fs. The JBLs sound waaaay better than anything else fender has ever used. To sweeten the deal, my room mate has a Vox Tonelab SE with the built in pedals. The tonelab is better for the 6 strings since it is easy to lose that great ric 12 string sound after adding effects. And even better, my room mate built 2 speaker cabinets ported for bass, both with JBL d120s, 2 from the late 50s I believe and 2 from the 70s for a total of six 12 inch speakers. The only downside is each speaker weights about 32 or so pounds by itself, plus add in the electronics and the cabinets.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:51 am 

Both. When I record, I use a couple different guitars, but I use them on the same song, but for different parts. I use the same bass all the time, unless I'm playing a different tuning, in which case I use a different one.

I haven't had much opportunity to play live yet, but generally the same rule would apply. I'd use my main bass almost all the time, and would switch only for a different tuning or if I broke a string (which doesn't happen often on bass).

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:49 pm 

If you are a professional performer, it is hardly possible to go to a gig with just one guitar - though Rory Gallagher did it very successfully for years with his old Fender Stratocaster. I am not a professional performer, so I never take more than one guitar with me. Usually it is my 650A, which is the most versatile guitar I own and the guitar that delivers my "signature sound(s)." When I am performing something at school, where I work as a music teacher, I use my 620 most of the time. When I am recording things at home I use my 325V59 more often, but I like to keep this one in my living room and never take it anywhere.

If I could only keep one guitar I would keep the 325V59. It was my first Rickenbacker and it is the one I love the most, though I am playing my three 600 series guitars more often.

"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." (Elvis Costello)

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:45 pm 

I am a professional performer & I use exclusively Rickenbacker. I admit that I change between 6 string & 12, but it's still Ric. I don't want to sound like anyone else & don't feel the need to have a Strat sound, or a LP sound. My sound is 'me' & my Ric/Marshall combination is quite frankly superb. My band does a certain amount of covers, but they sound like us. I don't want to imitate others, I want others to imitate me!!! ( As a result, I have managed to steer many people towards buying a Rickenbacker, who have shared my enthusiasm. )

In my pretty extensive gigging experience (probably around the 3000 mark), the serious 'gig goers' really apreciate this approach, as they get a band that has a 'sound', not just an aproximate clone of the real thing. This is very often reflected in the enthusiasm of our audiences.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:29 am 

Interesting question - I have been playing about 40 years and have owned every imaginable kind of guitar - but for stage use there is no substitute for a PRS - the controls are simple yet the sound is versatile - admittedly they don't look as cool as a Ric, but when there is a job to do...

That said, I often use my 360FG in jams and rehearsals.

I am (not patiently) awaiting delivery of a 350v63JG - that may tempt me to forego the PRS's preferable control set up and varnish-free neck.

Fretter

Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:10 am 

I only have 2 electrics and no acoustics at the moment so I'm definitely in the signature sound category. In addition to my Ric 360-12 I own a very nice (and slightly modified) Yamaha Pacifica which I love the sound and playability of. The mod is a Seymour Duncan "Pearly Gates" Humbucker at the bridge. I also use the single coil at the neck position extensively but in rooms where the wiring is sub-par the humbucker is pleasantly silent between songs. But I love the sound of the humbucker, too. It's hard to come up with an exact description of it but it's like the amp is scared almost to death when I use the H/B. The harmonics are superb and the rig will sustain forever and/or double the octave depending on the picking attack. So much for the 6-for the 12 I use compression and boost the 800 & 1.6K bands on my EQ for "The Sound". Which guitar I would keep if I could only keep one is an impossible question.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:29 am 

Well, I think I have an arsenal that would make SAC jealous, 10 Gibsons, 5 Fenders, 3 Ricks, 1 Grubisa custom etc.

Different tones abound and I can honestly say I have a guitar for every situation, they are ALL great sounding players as they are the result of a culling process, I have sold or traded at least another 2 dozen guitars in the last 4 years that I was not happy with. BTW each of my 3 Ricks were winners out of the case.

However, I prefer to think of my 'signature' sound as the style and tonality that my individual playing creates, my 'own sound' as it were, I'll play a screaming lead run on a 350V63 just as ballsy as I will on my Gibson L5S, to be like Hendrix is a goal, it did not matter if it was a Strat, Flying V, SG Custom or Firebird (he played all these guitars in his career amongst others) it still sounded like nothing else but pure Hendrix.

Check Hendrix on the 'Isle of Wight' set, he uses his personal custom made Gibson Flying V for many of the songs, it's very hard to tell where the Strat stops and the V starts.

Cheers, Kez

Board index » General Forum