Board index » General Forum

Post subject: Why isn't the 660 a "V"
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:45 am 

as much as the 660 and 660/12 a loaded with vintage features like checkered binding, pickups, tuners, knobs pickguard and truss rod cover, tailpiece, and inlays, why isn't it part of the "V" series and receive a vintage case? just curious.

Post subject: Re: Why isn't the 660 a "V"
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:51 pm 

Probably because the 660 is basically the Tom Petty model which has many vintage features but with that wide neck and check binding, it's not an exact reissue of an older model.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:11 pm 

I saw this thread and I thought "flying V"

So, the 660 is a deluxe version of the older 620 (which has been around since the 50's/60's)? What year did they start making the 660?

If the 660 is the deluxe version, why doesn't it come with Ric-O-Sound (like the 360 does?).

Post Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:46 pm 

I guess Tom wasn't a Rick O Sound fan.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:54 am 

Quote:
I saw this thread and I thought "flying V"

Brizilla, great minds think alike, :), for a brief moment I too thought 'Flying V', I happen to be a Gibson Flying V nut, having 4 of them. A Flying V based on a 660/6 would be an interesting and unique custom project indeed!

The neck-through construction would lend itself well to a Flying V, it would be thin bodied like a 660 with flamed maple, checker binding and crushed pearl rick style fret markers, oh what a beauty...

Cheers, Kez

Post Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:12 am 

hmm, i think i might have seen a post about this earlier, but since the 660 technically isnt a reissue, will it still get the new headstock? im personally against the new headstock all around. the routed slot of the original headstock is what made the rickenbacker 12s unique.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:50 am 

As Richard said the 660 stemmed off the Tom Petty Limited Edition.
It has vintage parts on it but it's not a complete vintage spec guitar.
I don't think Mr.Hall will be routing all the way through the headstock on this model.

I too am not a fan of completely routing through the headstock, nor am I a fan of the smaller inlays on the 360 model guitars or 4000 Series Basses.
I wish there were an option for vintage inlay, that would be cool, this way you can get a pretty close reissue of a once Deluxe guitar.
Other wise you need to buy a Carl Wilson LE....

The CEO makes the rules, so that's the end of that, LOL...

Post Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:23 pm 

My Fireglo 660/12 came with the silver vintage case. Not quite the flame on the front I'd hoped for but breathtakingly beautiful, none the less.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:35 pm 

what year is your 660, if i recall the current list price includes a hardshell case, but didnt specify vintage. did you or the dealer you bought it from upgrade to the vintage case?

Post Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:36 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The 660 Series are, for lack of a better term, "fantasy vintage" guitars, i.e. they could have been produced in anoither era but weren't. For this reason, we'll stay within the vintage world and keep the slot routing only on the head.

However, arguements against the through slot are rather specious. There is not downside to this enchancement, only upside in terms of stringing and tone. There earliest prototypes were made this way, so you really can't even point to a historical basis for not doing this; it could have been amde either way. The only valid cirterion for an opionion is appearance; you like the look or you don't, but most people don't even notice the difference until you point it out anyway!

Board index » General Forum