Board index » General Forum

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: John Lennon's DB122 Model 325
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:54 am 

Has Rickenbacker ever been contacted by John Lennon's Estate, or has Rickenbacker ever asked the Estate to repair DB122.
I saw the break in the back of the headstock, it's about to snap off under the volute.

It's a shame because I know you guys at the factory would happily repair it.
I just can't stand that it's not fixed and I'd hate to see some butcher get their hands on it and make it worse.
Or worse yet steal half the parts on it like the 58 325...

Post subject: Re: John Lennon's DB122 Model 325
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:30 pm 

Trig, I think they want to just leave the guitar in the shape it was when Lennon was alive...I suppose it could be repaired to conserve the guitar for the future, but who knows...

Post Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:43 pm 

Why would you repair it? That break has historical significance. It shows authenticity. It is a mark that was made when he dropped it off the stage at the Hammersmith Odeon theatre Christmas 1964. Rose Morris gave him his 1996 FG as a replacement (today owned by Ringo) while the 325 was being "repaired". I don't know who repaired it, but it wasn't a very good job.

I would hate to see that damage made invisible and the history marking with it! It would be like taking the old cellotaped set lists off of John's 325 or Paul's Hofner bass!

Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:46 am 

Well the break is so bad that eventually the headstock will snap off.
All it takes is one bad trip on an aircraft or a truck.

There's also nothing significant or historical about John breaking his guitar by accident, I believe he wanted it fixed..

The setlist on McCartney's Hofner Bass has been removed.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:14 am 

Quote:
All it takes is one bad trip on an aircraft or a truck.

Considering all of the miles DB122 traveled for concert appearances and recording sessions, it's really remarkable that John's second 325 is still around today in any condition. Even more impressive is the fact that the 1958 325, the 1964 325/12 and the 1964 RM 1996 are also still around more than 40 years later and are a big part of the Beatles history and Rickenbacker history.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:42 pm 

Quote:
There's also nothing significant or historical about John breaking his guitar by accident, I believe he wanted it fixed..

I beg to differ. That is what history means. It is a footprint preserved. If Lennon were alive and continuing to play guitar, it would, no doubt, be repaired. Paul is alive and playing his Hofner - not surprising the set list has been removed. But John's 325 is in a museum and the marks he put on it are fascinating. It is like seeing the "Starry Night" in person. You see each brush stroke and actually experience the hand of Van Gogh.

Just my $0.02. YMMV.

Doug

PS: Perhaps they should straighten the vibrato arm as well?

Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:36 am 

A badly broken guitar is not a footprint, well maybe a footprint from Lennon's shoe if he kicked the crap out of the guitar or threw it off the stage.

What would you rather do A. Leave it like it is and most likely it's gonna end up in two pieces, or B. Fix it correctly since someone already tried and messed it up.

This is a job for this factory to insure that the guitar will be intact for another 100 years.

All the other things wrong with the guitar can remain because they are up gripes that don't effect the instrument.
A badly broken neck is a down gripe.

If Mr.Hall has seen the significant neck damage to the 325 I'd like to know how Rickenbacker would go about the repair if he were speaking to the Lennon Estate and not me.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:05 am 

Interesting discussion but ultimately a moot point I'm afraid.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:34 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

We offered the services of one of our best luthiers to the museum and Ms. Ono, to examine the damage and suggest a course of conservation. This was to stabilize the damage so that it would go no further or full repair, as they/she wished. There was no response.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:03 am 

Her imported cigarettes from Japan come first, lol...
That's a shame they don't care...

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Board index » General Forum