Board index » General Forum

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Most Valuable Guitar
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:26 am 

I would have thought that the most valuable guitar in the world would have been one of John Lennon's rickys - probably the original one bought in Hamburg (rather than the Miami). Are there any other contenders for "most valuable guitar" that come close to John Lennon's rickys?

Post subject: Re: Most Valuable Guitar
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:30 am 

Wasn't Paul McCartney offered $1M for his main Hofner before? Obviously, he declined.

I think the guitar to bring in the most money at auction is Eric Clapton's "Blackie" but it's probably not the most "valuable" guitar in the world. Great topic idea though.

I'll throw in a mention of Brian May's one of a kind "Red Special."

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:32 am 

I did a Google search on 'most valubable guitar' and got this from the Guiness Book of Records page:

Most Valuable Guitar
Eric Clapton's (UK) 'Blackie' Fender Stratocaster guitar sold for $959,500 (£528,976), to US chain The Guitar Centre at Christie's in New York, USA on June 24, 2004.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:39 am 

As the 'value' of a guitar can only be based on the actual sale, I think EC's 'Blackie' holds the honors. IF a Lennon Rickenbacker, Epiphone, Gibson or Martin guitar went up for auction I would expect it could take top spot but don't hold your breath.

Dweezle Zappa has tried twice to auction his Dad's burned up and rebuilt Hendrix strat but it has failed both times to make the reserve of $1M US.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:44 am 

Yes, Blackie was sold for $959,500 in 2004 and Clapton's 1964 Gibson ES-335 brought $847,500. His 1939 OOO-42 Martin sold for $791,500. These were all record amounts for Fender, Gibson and Martin guitars.

How are we to determine "value"?

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:26 am 

That's just WAY too much money!

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:31 am 

Most valuable guitar? Mine! At least to me! :)

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:06 am 

Quote:
Yes, Blackie was sold for $959,500 in 2004 and Clapton's 1964 Gibson ES-335 brought $847,500. His 1939 OOO-42 Martin sold for $791,500. These were all record amounts for Fender, Gibson and Martin guitars.

How are we to determine "value"?

Well I'm thinking in similar terms to real estate Kevin. You may speculate on what your house is "worth" on the market today. But the actual value of your house can only be determined at the moment you sell it. What did it sell for?

We could speculate all day about how much Lennon's DB122 is worth, but you'll never know for sure until someone sells it. I suppose there are other values other than market value, like for insurance purposes - but they are speculative as well.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:18 pm 

My question on the determination of value was in response to seltaeb's post. I obviously should have been more specific, but I agree with you totally in that you can only go by what an instrument has actually sold for.

It's also interesting that at this auction Blackie sold for way more than Christie's estimate of $100,000 to $150,000 (as did all the other guitars) which means 1) those GC guys wanted it really badly, and 2) estimates, even from top auction houses, are probably worthless!

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:09 pm 

I may be biased, but I would think McCartney's Hofner might bury all if it were ever to becomes available. That old girl has been on a ride through history and is still earning her keep.

Hard to imagine the real McCartney's ever selling. Wife #2, that's a different story.

If I were rich, instead of good looking, my money would go toward the real 4001CS. That baby is known for one thing, being a great sounding and playing bass. Add all it's history, and you have a wonderful piece.

Yes sir, I'd have a priceless piece of history and use her to make $100 at the local stink hole. I'd be like a pig in poo.

I know, I know, I'd be an idiot to take her out. Sorry, I would just have to play her.

Okay, now that's settled, to whom do I write the check, and for how much? (Include shipping please.)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Board index » General Forum