Board index » General Forum

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Most Valuable Guitar
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:09 am 

I would think any guitar or bass associated with the Beatles,Elvis,Hendrix,Buddy Holly...would be considered priceless to anyone, all pioneers in Rock in Roll.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:22 am 

Tough question. As people generally believe the Beatles got even better as time went on, you could almost argue that Lennon's second Ric would be worth more, as it had starring roles in A Hard Day's Night and Help, the albums as well as the films, whereas his first was in neither film.

If I shucked out millions for an axe, it'd be nice to chuck in one of those DVDs and say "look, there it is."

Post Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:29 am 

Unless I missed it I am surprised that no-one has put in a vote for George Harrison's first 12 string Rickenbacker.

So I will - in my view it is the most valuable guitar. Really.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:39 am 

Quote:
I agree with the majority her. Lennon's 1958 325 is probably would be the most valuable. Iven from the rarety point of view. There were only 200 something made back in 58 and not many left now...

More like 20 something.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:30 am 

Mr.John Williams speaks the truth.I think the total was a whopping 28.IMHO,JWL's '58,'64 & 325/12(even if he was never seen with it) would be right up there at the top.But if they had to go head-to-head with George's 360/12...it would just depend on who Bill Gates liked more;John or George...(>_<)...

Post Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:53 am 

By the vox populi of most guitar aficionados, the nod would seem to go JWL's original 1958 325 often affectionately known as "the holy grail" of all guitars.

Seemingly, it would indeed be "priceless."

We all know the story of it. From it's serendipitous first appearance in Lennon's pre-fame life in a 1960 Hamburg, Germany to it's heavy, heavy use as a live performance musical instrument, it's hectic life as a studio instrument for so many immortal early Beatles recordngs up thru January 1964 and perhaps it's last known TV appearances on the first and third Beatles legendary headlining roles on the Ed Sullivan Shows, to its final use by Lennon for his final studio session(s) use in December 1980 on the very day he died, this guitar has to be the "collectible of all collectibles."

And it all didn't work out so badly for Rickenbacker International either.

Eternally chimes Main Street!

Post Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:09 am 

Quote:
Unless I missed it I am surprised that no-one has put in a vote for George Harrison's first 12 string Rickenbacker.

So I will - in my view it is the most valuable guitar. Really.

I did. A long time ago... See page 1

Post Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:48 pm 

LennonRickyGirl - right you are - I missed it - sorry about that! Well now there's two of us who know which guitar is really the most valuable.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:29 pm 

What makes it valuable is probably where it's been and the history involved. The Beatles had pretty much a solid line-up of guitars/bass for years. Harrison's 360, the Hofner, and 325 made its way onto records, tours, album covers, photo's, etc. Those guitars have seen more of the world than I have. They've spawned reissues that are being bought forty + years later. Those guitars would break the $1M mark in a heartbeat.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:43 pm 

"In 1993, Jimi Hendrix's 1968 "Woodstock Strat" with serial number 240981 was sold for €1,275,000 to the Italian art collector called Red Ronnie. It is now in Microsoft billionare Paul Allen's possession and is the main attraction for his Experience Music Project in Seattle, Washington."

Taken from wikipedia.com, for whatever that's worth :)

Oh, I'm new here too. No Rickenbacker yet though!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Board index » General Forum