Board index » General Forum

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Most Valuable Guitar
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:46 am 

I haven't the time to read all the old entries on this thread; however, I can only imagine that James Jamerson's '62 P-bass, if it hasn't yet been found, must be worth some nearly immeasurable amount of money... (Those legendary strings alone would probably fetch $100,000!!)

Post Posted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:57 am 

Quote:
" ... King George V. By 1922, the British Empire held sway over a population of about 458 million people ... And his face would have been on every coin.

Although I doubt he played a Ric.

I think George V was a percussion man. He may have played the spoons.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:00 am 

Now why is Clapton selling off his iconic guitars?

Post Posted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:59 am 

Quote:
Now why is Clapton selling off his iconic guitars?

To raise money for the island rehab center he sponsors, Crossroads Centre in Antigua:
http://crossroadsantigua.org/

Post Posted: Sat May 15, 2010 9:43 pm 

I'm sorry to you all but being a proud Ric owner, I still believe the most valuable guitar in the world, if it could ever be located, would be a 1957 Gibson Moderne. Chances are none were ever produced but if one should ever turn up in a yard sale some day it would probably fetch two million.

Post Posted: Wed May 19, 2010 2:29 pm 

There was a show on TV recently which featured a guitarist called Manitas de Plata. According to the show, Pablo Picasso was a great fan and etched a drawing on de Plata's guitar. I imagine the guitar alone is worth quite a bit but with an original Picasso too it must be worth a fortune.

Cheers.

Si

Post Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:20 pm 

Who currently owns John's guitar?

Post Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:41 am 

treehousecollections wrote:
Who currently owns John's guitar?

I believe that would be Yoko Ono. ;)

Post Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:45 pm 

Being a left handed bass player, the most valuable for me, would have to be Sir Paul's Hohfner; his Rick would be a close second, but I saw him in the Cavern Club in 1963 (my father was stationed at RAF Brize Norton then), and he was playing the Hof. To be honest, I don't remember (and didn't care) what anyone else was playing at the time. And before anyone says it, yes, Ringo was playing drums. Since the question was about most valuable GUITAR, personally, it would have to be Buddy Holly's Stratocaster that was stolen from the plane wreckage in 1959. After that, Eddie Cochran's Gretsch, Robert Johnson's (I think) Martin, and James Burton's Strat. The real Most Valuable Guitar, though, can be seen in the video tour of John Hall's collection; it's the 1931 guitar that got the patent for Rickerbacker in the first place. Without it, none of the other's would - probably - never have existed.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:45 pm 

chris51 wrote:
Being a left handed bass player, the most valuable for me, would have to be Sir Paul's Hohfner; his Rick would be a close second, but I saw him in the Cavern Club in 1963 (my father was stationed at RAF Brize Norton then), and he was playing the Hof. To be honest, I don't remember (and didn't care) what anyone else was playing at the time. And before anyone says it, yes, Ringo was playing drums. Since the question was about most valuable GUITAR, personally, it would have to be Buddy Holly's Stratocaster that was stolen from the plane wreckage in 1959. After that, Eddie Cochran's Gretsch, Robert Johnson's (I think) Martin, and James Burton's Strat. The real Most Valuable Guitar, though, can be seen in the video tour of John Hall's collection; it's the 1931 guitar that got the patent for Rickerbacker in the first place. Without it, none of the other's would - probably - never have existed.

RJ played a Gibson. James Burton primarily plays Tele.

These days I think it's "who played it" more than what it really is. I'm sure the 1931 guitar would be the most valuable had we not placed an emphasis on famous musician's gear.

I mean, James Burton's Tele is a Tele. It's the same guitar anyone can go into a store and buy. Granted, it is older and whatnot, but anyone can still get that sound. If you bought James Burton's guitar, it doesn't make you James Burton. If you buy a 1931 Ric, you're owning a pioneer in guitar architecture and electronics. The difference is that the player is what makes his instrument famous, not the instrument itself, but the original electric lapsteel is THE first electric guitar and speaks for itself.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Board index » General Forum