Board index » General Forum

Post subject: Need advice on 1980 Bass
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:12 pm 

Hello people,

First off, I don't know much about Rickenbackers or musical equipment in general, but I'd like to hear some advice from people who know their stuff.

A few years ago I bought a beautiful 1980 Rickenbacker bass. Since then I've lost interested, stopped playing it, and decided to sell it. However, the intonation on it was a bit off, so I took it into the shop and the repair guy told me that one of the two truss rods was broken and couldn't be fixed because the part has been discontinued for this model and too difficult to find.

I would still like to sell it "as is" but I don't know what a fair price would be. Can any of you give me an assessment of how much to charge for it? It's in great condition aside from the rod.

I'm not much of a musician anymore and I really just want to get rid of it. I don't want to screw anyone over but I want want a fair price on my end.

Any and all advice would be appreciated. Thanks a lot in adavanced!

Here is a picture

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4098/481 ... db41_o.jpg

Post subject: Re: Need advice on 1980 Bass
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:02 pm 

Hi Bryan

That's a fine-looking 4003 you have there. The old-style truss rods on these are indeed discontinued, but they can be repaired and some luthiers have the expertise to be able to machine replacments.

Big question: how does your tech know that one of the rods is broken? If the rod is just "maxed out" this may not be an issue - the neck adjustment method for these 4003s with the older truss-rods is very different to that used for basses with conventional rods. A little manipulation may well reveal that the rod is still in working order.

An excellent consition early run 4003 in Mapleglo should be worth no less than $1,200 and possibly as much as $1,700 to the right buyer. In the event that the truss rod issue requires a replacement rod, you would need to knock off around $200-$250 IMO.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:15 pm 

Antipodean is right. With the proper love, it can really be made into a nice instrument. Nice specimen!

Post Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:53 pm 

Thanks a lot! I really appreciate your input. I didn't spend much time talking to the repair guy - a friend of mine took the bass in for me since the tech was his friend, and that's the verdict that came back and I didn't put much more thought into it. Perhaps I should get a second opinion?

Post Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:27 am 

I'd go for a second opinion, and if you're feeling brave, have a look at the rods - the adjustment nuts are under the pickguard at the heel of the neck. If the rods aren't actually broken and the metal plate is intact and seated correctly (or can be seated correctly if it is a little crooked) then the problem is probably relatively minor - at the very worst you may need to have one of the rods reshaped and/or rethreaded if the nut has become cross-threaded.

Board index » General Forum