Board index » General Forum

Post subject: Fake?????
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:13 pm 

Is this a fake??? I don't know, it just doesn't look right to me. I guess it could just be the picture....

http://cgi.ebay.com/rickenbacker-4001-B ... 0408596352

Post subject: Re: Fake?????
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:52 pm 

Looks OK to me.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:55 pm 

Quote:
Is this a fake???

No, it's a real Rick.

Quote:
I don't know, it just doesn't look right to me. I guess it could just be the picture....

Real photos too! Welcome to the RIC Forums.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:56 pm 

OK, thank you.

Just must be the angle of the pic or something, because to me the binding looks wrong, it looks like there is binding under the bridge which I thought 4001s didn't have, the output jack plate does not have standard/rick-o-sound labeled on it, something about the head looks wrong, but that might just be it looks like someone painted the ferrules for the machine heads black, the color of the fret board looks a little light, and finally, the price ... great deal if it stays that low.

Anyway, thanks for looking, little over 10 hours to go, so I'll keep a watching it.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:35 pm 

If it's not already too late e-mail the seller and ask for the serial number,then check it out on the Serial Number Decoder under the Service tab on this site.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:12 pm 

The Jackplate could always be a real one placed on a fake, so the full serial number doesn't really tell you a whole lot. As for the markings for Ric-O-Sound/Standard, those are just printed/silk-screened on and tend to wear off, so not seeing them also doesn't mean much. Actually, it looks like there's some remains of the printing on the plate.

As for the binding going under the tailpiece, I think this is just the particular angle of the picture. The binding does go a fair ways past the edge of the tailpiece as you can see in this picture of my '76 4001:
http://rickresource.com/register/user_i ... llsize.jpg

A few other things come to mind on the reality of this one. The bridge saddles are grayish and not shiny, many fakes have chrome plated saddles. The triangle inlays look more or less correct, fakes are often shinier material. Also, they are aligned with the frets correctly. On a lot of fakes, the triangles are placed further towards the headstock, leaving a bigger gap between the long side and the fret. The fretboard itself is fairly light, this could be the photo making it appear lighter than actual, but many fakes have darker than normal fretboards.

Then there's the alignment of the knobs. The two towards the tailpiece look to be just a bit further apart than the other two. Many fakes have these more evenly spaced. Here's a picture of my '84 4003 showing the knob alignment:
http://rickresource.com/register/user_i ... llsize.jpg

You could always email the seller and ask for a shot that shows the end of the bass just to make sure the binding stops under the tailpiece, but there are some fakes that look that way too. Getting the guy to take a picture under the TRC would almost certainly tell the whole story since most fakes only have one truss rod and the few that have 2 have very different looking adjusting nuts...

Board index » General Forum