Board index » General Forum

Post subject: We should buy the copies and destroy them
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:55 am 

The copies that already exist ! Specificly the Music Industries lawsuit settled guitars the Jay Turser Agile Riff Sonic 10 ! Mr. Hall are those guitars unsellable between private parties ? I don't get it ! The issue was settled for those specific guitars ! Wasn't the lawsuit a settlement !Any lawyer says that ignorance of a law is no excuse if you violate it ! Seems the persecuting of the owners of those guitars should be exempt! An expert would say that those rights violations were adjudicated ,DOUBLE JEOPARDY IS A LAW ALSO

Post subject: Re: We should buy the copies and destroy them
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:57 am 

I'm not too sure that I get your point. What has a copy got to do with anyone but the person who produced it, and the company who alleges that their copyright has been invaded? I am sure that the consumer is aware that a Lingenblacker isn't a genuine Ric, but I hardly think it is the consumers responsibility to be the copyright police for a manufacturer.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:07 pm 

No thanks. If I had known when I was 15 what I know now, I wouldn't have bought a copy at guitar center. But I didn't know such things were illegal then, and what's done is done. Since it's illegal to sell copies, as I've since discovered, I'm stuck with the bass. I certainly won't be destroying it, though, as while it's not a Rick, it's still a pretty nice instrument.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:22 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Not only do we have the right to block the sale of infringing goods- even ones that have already been the target of a lawsuit- we are required to do so under current case law, otherwise risk the loss of our trademarks.

We'd rather not have to spend our time dealing with these copies, since it's rather like playing whack-a-mole, but we're also not going to allow our designs to fall out of trademark, such as the Tele and Strat did. In fact, I signed off just ths week to move against certain infringors and will be cranking up the pressure on a number of fronts.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:38 am 

Quote:
Not only do we have the right to block the sale of infringing goods- even ones that have already been the target of a lawsuit- we are required to do so under current case law, otherwise risk the loss of our trademarks.

We'd rather not have to spend our time dealing with these copies, since it's rather like playing whack-a-mole, but we're also not going to allow our designs to fall out of trademark, such as the Tele and Strat did. In fact, I signed off just ths week to move against certain infringors and will be cranking up the pressure on a number of fronts.

is that where we, the humble teeming masses play the part of ground troop and recon by reporting copies to the RIC legal dept?

Post Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:49 am 

Quote:
but I hardly think it is the consumers responsibility to be the copyright police for a manufacturer.

It's not a responsibility, it's an honor!!! I can empathize. I've had a real 4003 stolen from me, I can only imagine how frustrated Mr.Hall and Co. get when they have an entire doggone line of instruments stolen from them!!! copyright is copyright.. period. it's what separates the integrity of product from firewood.If someone is going to endorse fake Rickenbackers, they might as well tell everybody that they wrote "Here Comes The Sun" after they've played it .. which you need permission to do, but that's a whole different can of worms ;^)

Post Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:54 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Let's not confuse copyrights and trademarks . . . very different animals indeed!

Post Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:01 am 

"An honour" really? Geez some of you guys take yourselves a bit too seriously I think. Mr Hall your are more than entitled to defend your copyrights and brand and i wish you well doing it, but I wont be wasting my time or hard earned on helping you do it, which I think was the original point of this thread.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:02 am 

Quote:
Let's not confuse copyrights and trademarks . . . very different animals indeed!

true. I'll shut up now, I need to go practice anyway. I didn't spend $$$$$$$$.$$ on REAL Rickenbackers just to have them sit there!!!!
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Thank you Mr.Hall. I love that your insistence on absolute quality makes my purchase feel appreciated :)

Post Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:05 am 

There are currently Turser and Greco copies for sale on ebay.

Board index » General Forum