Board index » General Forum

Post subject: Single truss rod Ric? Exhibit A: My new 650D.
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:22 am 

So I bought a 650D a little while ago, and while I love the guitar, I always understood them to be loaded with dual truss rods. To my surprise, when I popped off the truss rod cover for the initial tweak, I saw only one.

Now, just to get it out of the way, I ran the serial number. It checks out just fine, and the guitar appears to be from June of 1994. Again, every report I've read of these (and most other Rics) would dictate dual truss rods; anybody ever seen another like it?

As a sidenote, is this something I should be concerned about? I know oil-finished necks are said to warp a tad easier, and I'm curious if the single/dual rod discrepancy would have an effect.

Thanks a ton.

Jason

ps. Just for kicks, here's a link to my Photobucket album, complete with photos of the truss rod: http://s972.photobucket.com/albums/ae20 ... er%20650D/

Post subject: Re: Single truss rod Ric? Exhibit A: My new 650D.
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:06 am 

Quote:
So I bought a 650D a little while ago, and while I love the guitar, I always understood them to be loaded with dual truss rods. To my surprise, when I popped off the truss rod cover for the initial tweak, I saw only one.

Now, just to get it out of the way, I ran the serial number. It checks out just fine, and the guitar appears to be from June of 1994. Again, every report I've read of these (and most other Rics) would dictate dual truss rods; anybody ever seen another like it?

Welcome to the RIC Forums. Yes, there were some 650D models manufactured with a single truss rod.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:12 am 

Quote:
Welcome to the RIC Forums. Yes, there were some 650D models manufactured with a single truss rod.

Which was not such a good idea, by the way. Sorry to say that. But the major strength of the 650 compared to other guitars with two humbuckers and rather long necks (such as the Gibson SG) is the extra-stability of the dual trussrods.

As far as I know only the first 650s were built with a single trussrod. I am surprised to learn that a 1994 model still had only a single trussrod.

"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." (Elvis Costello)

Post Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:24 am 

Quote:
As far as I know only the first 650s were built with a single trussrod. I am surprised to learn that a 1994 model still had only a single trussrod.

Same here. I don't mind the single truss rod, but my major concern was warping or twisting. Then again, I don't know how much of a threat that is after 17 good years.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:31 am 

The 650 series are built around a single piece of wood that runs from the nut to the tail bone. You have to figure that these pieces of maple have to be SELECT, since the sides are just a wooden adornment for resonance. Witness all the various configurations in which the 650 has been offered, but always with that rock maple centre.

I've owned 2 650D's, and to my mind the dual truss rod is almost an unnecessary accessory, a non-issue. There was no clear advantage at all in those particular examples in having a dual truss rod. In fact, the only truss rod problem I had was that the neck was just about perefectly straight and I had to figure a way to keep a finger-tight truss rod nut from rattling.

Board index » General Forum