Board index » General Forum

Post subject: Re: Slide on a Rickenbacker 330
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:18 am 

You sacrifice a bit of tone using too light of a slide, though. Some swear by brass. I prefer glass - there's a local guy around here who makes them out of true bottlenecks, so they come in all kinds of different colors, lengths, shapes, and sizes. I never could get a Dunlop fiberglass slide to sound any good.

Luther Dickinson says the main thing in getting a good slide guitar is not to set the action too low.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:06 am 

Rickissippi wrote:
You sacrifice a bit of tone using too light of a slide, though. I never could get a Dunlop fiberglass slide to sound any good.

Luther Dickinson says the main thing in getting a good slide guitar is not to set the action too low.

And I can't disagree more. Different strokes for different folks.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:23 pm 

Got any clips of you playing slide?

Post Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:09 pm 

I'm afraid you're going to have to take my word for it; for now, at least.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:53 am 

I'd have thought you'd have needed a reasonably heavy touch to play slide on a 12 string, due to the difference in string gauges for paired strings - at the low end at least. Still, I'm not a slide player (although much respect to those that are) so shows how little I know.

AGNP - If you could get round to recording some silde on you 12 string, I'd love to hear how that sounds!

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:27 am 

pigfender wrote:
I'd have thought you'd have needed a reasonably heavy touch to play slide on a 12 string, due to the difference in string gauges for paired strings - at the low end at least. Still, I'm not a slide player (although much respect to those that are) so shows how little I know.

AGNP - If you could get round to recording some silde on you 12 string, I'd love to hear how that sounds!

It did take practice, just like anything else I do on a 12 string. ;)

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:45 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEScQD_Opkc

The best I could do today. After typing two research papers, among other university work, I'm not in the best of moods/conditions.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:09 am 

Ain'tGotNoPokemon wrote:
Rickissippi wrote:
You sacrifice a bit of tone using too light of a slide, though. I never could get a Dunlop fiberglass slide to sound any good.

And I can't disagree more. Different strokes for different folks.

Well, like I said, *I* personally couldn't ever get a fiberglass slide to sound any good. So, perhaps it's user error. I'm not saying no one can make it work, though I've never heard of a big-name player getting classic sounds out of one (certainly possible, though, of course). I do think the glass and brass gives a fuller, meatier sound, at least to my ear. I'm also a big NMAS fan, so that's why I reference Luther (don't know how much slide work he does with the Crowes). I had a hand-made porcelain slide from the Carolinas years ago I really dug, but then it fell to its death from a rooftop gig I was playing a few years ago (sniff).

But you know, come to think of it, Leo Kottke does quite a bit of slide work on a 12-string, although not on a Rick. I think he uses concave brass slides, to mirror the radius of the strings. Anyone interested should check out Kottke's songs June Bug or Vaseline Machine Gun. Amazing work.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:44 pm 

Rickissippi wrote:
though I've never heard of a big-name player getting classic sounds out of one (certainly possible, though, of course). I do think the glass and brass gives a fuller, meatier sound, at least to my ear.

Did you just answer your own question with the (statement)?

The reason I use the plexi-glass is because it's good for low action. If I don't play slide primarily, I can't increase the action. However, on my other guitars, I use a chrome slide, which sustains forever. I can use it on the Ric too, but with an even lighter touch. I'm not into playing the blues anymore, so I try to create different effects and sounds.

The clip above is a small fraction of what I do with a slide; I was sick from all the stress and depression college enjoys inflicting upon me.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:25 pm 

Ain'tGotNoPokemon wrote:
Did you just answer your own question with the (statement)?

Ha, yeah, I guess so. Stream of consciousness, I guess. Only trying to say that just because I haven't heard anyone get that tone yet doesn't mean it can't be done.

I'm not normally a slide player either - if I use mine twice at one 3-hour gig, that would be a lot. But I never could make those Dunlop "pill bottle" looking slides work, nor those big, chrome pipe ones (not sure who makes them). Both just danced around on my finger too much and prevented me from being in control or being accurate. I needed something that fit around my slide finger a little tighter. I also had an epiphany when I finally learned not to let the slide reach all the way down over your whole finger to your hand, but rather have it stop at the knuckle before that last digit. On my current bottleneck, it is not big enough to slip past that knuckle - it stops right there. I can play slide with so much more control now that I know that and have the right slide for it......on the rare occasions when I do play slide.

But, back to the topic at hand, I'll say this - playing one on a Rick for me presents no more difficulties than playing one on my other guitars, so long as it's properly set up for one. I had heard people say you can't use a Rick for slide, and I just have to say I haven't found that to be my experience at all.

Board index » General Forum