Board index » General Forum

Post subject: new member, new axe
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:57 am 

Hi y'all,

Long-time listener, first-time caller.

I tried to resist the temptation of joining the forum since all of my questions have been answered so many times here already and are easily searchable (and because the last thing I need is another online forum), but I gave in today.

Got my dream guitar Monday - a jetglo 360. Went with a new model - a 2009. That surprised me, as I always thought I'd get one from the 80s or 90s (I happen to dig the smaller inlays, as well as the FW ones), but with the adjustable pole-pieces and smaller headstock, I figured grab a new one. Plus, with RIC, unlike many other major manufacturers, there are no "bad periods" to stay away from. They're all American made, built in the same factory, to the same quality standards, and pretty much by the same family. A Rick is a Rick is a Rick.

I own or have owned a Tele, a Strat, a PRS, and a Les Paul, but a Rick is always the one I've wanted. For some reason, when I bought my last 2 electrics, my LP and my Tele (stolen six months ago, sadly), I almost bought the Rick, but chickened out at the last minute, thinking I needed something "more versatile" (forgive me, I know better now) and that I would get the Rick later. After getting the guitars, I would always later think I made a mistake in not getting the Rick while I had the chance, i.e., the wife's permission. Well, I was finally able to replace the Tele last week, and I figured jump on the chance to get my long-time-longed-for Rick.

I have listened to a bunch of styles of music, and admire many guitarists from many genres, but Peter Buck was one of my earliest heros - 20 years ago, as well as Johnny Marr - that full, rhythm/lead hybrid. That's what planted the Rick seed. I still love their playing. I think what kept me from getting the Rick earlier was the thought that my playing and listening had broadened and still included REM and The Smiths, but also now included more styles as well, including bluegrass, jazz, and even some select country. In any event, I am glad I see beyond that now, and know that you can play any style of music on any guitar. I'd rather the player, not the guitar, define the style of music. Anyway, sorry to be such a windbag and glad to be here.

Post subject: Re: new member, new axe
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:56 am 

Welcome to the forums and congratulations on your new 360!

Post Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:32 am 

Welcome!

Congratulations are in ''order'' for you! Thanks for the prima facie verdict on your new Rickenbacker, yes all evidence clearly indicates this is a well made instrument!

You were by no means long winded, I quite enjoyed your dialectic, you don't need to convince me. At the end of the day a guitar is a tool, but a tool in the hands of someone creative, well it can create beauty, send a message, inspire those who hear. I need to use good tools! My ears are acutely effected by bad sounding guitars. Tonality, and intonation are important to me! I have spent 43 year developing my craft, I trust my ears Ric's sound A1+, they are not hard on the eye either! Yes we are all individuals, it's good to learn many styles, and theory! But I honestly soaked up other guitarist music when younger, I do some of their signature licks for fun and enjoyment. But 90% of the time I write my own music and play.

I have my own signature now, but it came after studying music and guitar of a long, long, time, and not being a copy cat! We all have our own voice, one just needs to keep learning to increase their vernacular!

I enjoyed you read, thanks for sharing it

jbudweiser

Post Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:06 am 

Welcome and congrats. Mark

Post Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:39 pm 

Congrats and welcome to the forum!

Even if you don't have any questions, it OK to join just to say, "Hey, I just got a new Rick!" Most of us have done the same thing at least once!

Post Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:00 am 

Yep,welcome aboard,come back often.Next step is to convince your bottom feeder to trade off his jazz bass for a 4003.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:11 am 

Quote:
Got my dream guitar Monday - a jetglo 360.

Your first Rickenbacker, a dream come true. Jangle on!

Post Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:25 am 

Hi Mark, congrats, and welcome to Ric World! My first Ric was a 1994 jetlgo 360. It was a great guitar.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:41 am 

Quote:
Yep,welcome aboard,come back often.Next step is to convince your bottom feeder to trade off his jazz bass for a 4003.

thanks.

amazingly enough, he is doing just that right now - looking for a 4003.....and he plays a jazz bass, too, but is unhappy with its pickups. So maybe your prediction will come true.

Board index » General Forum