Board index » General Forum

Post subject: Try out a Ric in Australia?
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:55 am 

Hey everyone,

I'm currently on the search for a Rickenbacker 330/6 and I've read how Australia currently has no distributors. Does that mean there won't be a guitar in Australia at all? As I'm usually one for trying out guitars for quite a while before I decide to purchase anything.

And I mean, they look so good, I just want to see one!!

Thank you!!

Post subject: Re: Try out a Ric in Australia?
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:32 pm 

Quote:
Hey everyone,

I'm currently on the search for a Rickenbacker 330/6 and I've read how Australia currently has no distributors. Does that mean there won't be a guitar in Australia at all? As I'm usually one for trying out guitars for quite a while before I decide to purchase anything.

And I mean, they look so good, I just want to see one!!

Thank you!!

Hi and Welcome!

At present with the Aust dollar being so high, it would be much better to import. You would save $1000's. It would be good if you could look at or play one here in Aust. But it would work out a lot cheaper to import! If you get back I can give you some more advice! I have Imported many items from the USA, I know some ups and downs and ways to avoid problems. There was someone who just wrote in on this forum about how he got a great deal from a USA dealer ( reliable dealer). We can't horse trade on the forum, but we can steer you in the right direction. If they post to Aust ,, you could save heaps

jbudweiser

Post Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:41 pm 

Thanks jbudweiser!

Greatly appreciate the help and quick reply. I've been looking at importing as yes, the Australian dollar at the moment is going pretty strong and that's how I got my last guitar so cheap (Australia overprices their guitars so much!!!)

But there would be no way to try out the guitar? I know all Rickenbackers have a distinct sound. I'm looking for something that would play alternative rock/indie/jazz well but be able to put quite a bit of distortion to it as well. Mind you The Beatles are my favourite band, so that's a plus!
I really have no idea if the 330/6 is suitable for that.

Thanks again for the help jbudweiser.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:00 pm 

Hi again so fast!

Maybe ask in this forum about that particular guitar
Many Ric's in my opinion sound great for jazz. But ask around and you will get some help. If your post does not show on the front page index, you can go back and revive the thread, so just keep asking. I will eventually get back too, but I'm busy at present. I'll attempt to get back in a day or so

jbudweiser

Post Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:38 pm 

Yeah, I just happened to check as soon as you replied. Good timing!

Okay, thanks for that I'll definitely ask the forum for their opinion. Thanks again for the help!

Post Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:54 am 

i doubt there are many places in australia if any where you could compare 3 or 4 of the same model or for that matter different models. i got my 325c58 imported sight unseen and obviously unplayed, not a problem.

always best to play before buy of course, but with ric at least you dont have to worry about build quality as they are second to none.

if your in sydney give jacksons a call, they may have some second hand 360's but i doubt they would have a 330

and there are defnately ins and outs of importing your own. best to ask someone whos already done so. helps to remember that we have a free trade agreement with the USA as well, mention this if they try and charge you duty

Post Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:37 am 

At present the dollar is perfect to import, overriding the Greenback now and then!

But to import a Guitar worth over $1000, which most Ric's are worth, you need to have an import Licence, you pay for this. You will also be hit for GST 10% also other charges and quarantine fees to get your guitar in out of customs
There is post cost, insurance too! It can be a big additional cost+++++

Look at the prices on eBay Australia and contrast that to the low USA Prices,,,,,one reason is imports cost can run into a $1000 dollars or more!

The dollar used to be a big turnstile ,that has improved but this turnstile will still be in place at customs!
It is much better to know someone you can trust! If not it's very expensive, despite the good dollar

Yes you are right, there is a lot involved. People press the buy now button on eBay,,,,and they get a huge shock that customs wants lots of money and a fist full of paperwork to release their goods

Note it only applies to Goods valued over AUST $1000, if it under, then no worries! To import is not easy but if you know someone who is honest, but will assist you then it is very worth while

jbudweiser

Post Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:59 am 

While it is always best to try before you buy, I have 4 Rickenbackers (with a fifth on order), and I had to buy them all sight unseen. I have regretted none of the purchases. One piece of advice would be to listen to sound clips online, particularly by better players, and you will get an idea of the versatility of these guitars. Good luck!

Post Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:31 am 

Quote:
While it is always best to try before you buy, I have 4 Rickenbackers (with a fifth on order), and I had to buy them all sight unseen. I have regretted none of the purchases. One piece of advice would be to listen to sound clips online, particularly by better players, and you will get an idea of the versatility of these guitars. Good luck!

Hi would you mind telling us some of the details as to your importation. Did you become an importer? ( I almost accidentally wrote impostor)LOL! What about the custom fees approx and did you buy new or used?. From e bay or a dealer???

I have done a few imports, some work out a lot better if you know someone honest However I would certainly like to hear what you have experienced! Also the custom format that you had to follow. Did it all go smoothly, I'm not off tender hooks till that case is open on my doorstep. But so far no regrets, but I did have some concerns and was a very happy to see all was perfect Musicians are somewhat emotional creatures.LOL

Oh by the way! I'd love to know your Ric inventory, you own 4 and another on the way ( congratulations),,,Now OK spill your guts,,,I'd love to know what you own in the way of Ric's on your Island in WA. That's as far flung as where I live! LOL. Don't you reckon it would be so easy if you lived in the USA, it's not cheap to get one here, and plus what about the risk factor!

jbudweiser

Post Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:08 am 

i became an importer when i imported my ric.

if i recall it didnt cost me anything, i just had to fill in a form. the biggest hassles i faced were the dealer took advantage of me to a certain extent, he let me talk him down in price but told me i had to pay via international bank deposit, as paypal incurred him fees. i was happy with that til i got to the bank and after transfer fees both ends, conversion fees for currrency and im sure $20 just to press enter ended up costing me more then i had saved.

then customs sent me a bill for thier %10 gst. if you dont declare the full value when you ship it, then im pretty sure if it gets lost or damaged for whatever reason the value is what you get refunded. so yeah sorta stops you buying a $4000 guitar and saying please can you say its only worth $800'

and for that matter customs aint stupid, they google stuff and look on ebay etc.. they are however stupid enough to ask for $440.03 GST from me, payable via credit card or money order. well considering i dont have a credit card i went to the post office. how are you meant to get a money order for 3 cents. that cost me a few days of waiting til i got my awesome new guitar. and the smell of a new ric. its like a drug :)

always get insurance! i think if you pay by paypal you et free insurance, but this has limitations, worth checking out though. hope this helps you

Board index » General Forum