Board index » General Forum

Post subject: Rics and home recording
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:49 pm 

Hi - I have a 330 and just snagged a 660-12. I was wondering if some of you who do home recording can recommend what you use to capture the sound of your Rics, especially the 12 string? I was thinking of getting a PodXT Live and some accompanying software - any recommendations? My apologies in advance to the Webmaster if this topic is outside the boundaries of the forum.

Post subject: Re: Rics and home recording
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:40 am 

Quote:
Hi - I have a 330 and just snagged a 660-12. I was wondering if some of you who do home recording can recommend what you use to capture the sound of your Rics, especially the 12 string? I was thinking of getting a PodXT Live and some accompanying software - any recommendations? My apologies in advance to the Webmaster if this topic is outside the boundaries of the forum.

I record quite a bit in my home studio. It has developed over about six years from something very simple to a fairly sophistocated system just by adding piece after piece.

With a basic system, you need:

- a computer with a sound card that has a "line level" input jack
- computer recording software (Audacity is a good start and free)
- a way to get the guitar signal up to "line level"

There are a number of ways to get your guitar signal to line level for recording:

- a DI box
- a guitar pedal (like the Pod you mention)
- a preamp
- an amplifier line out

Just make sure you don't plug your guitar in to your sound card's mic input - that input should never be used.

Doug Jones over at Acoustic Player Magazine has an excellent three part video tutorial on basic home recording:

http://www.acousticplayermagazine.com/a ... 1_001.html

Hope it helps!

Doug

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:19 am 

Apple has garageband built into their computers. We just bought one for my daughter and the cord that allows the guitar to plug into the computer. A friend who used to own a recording studio says that it has all a beginner needs. Have not tried it yet.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:47 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

We use a Line 6 Pod Pro, both guitar and bass versions, very successfully in the studio, to the extent that I've now taken all the conventional amplifiers I have out. Used in conjunction with Cakewalk's Sonar 5, the results have been outstanding, giving a really wide range of sounds and effects. The Pod Pro XT's weren't available when I bought mine and these are only better, improving on the tonal choices and especially the ease of use.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:49 am 

Quote:
We use a Line 6 Pod Pro, both guitar and bass versions, very successfully in the studio, to the extent that I've now taken all the conventional amplifiers I have out. Used in conjunction with Cakewalk's Sonar 5, the results have been outstanding, giving a really wide range of sounds and effects. The Pod Pro XT's weren't available when I bought mine and these are only better, improving on the tonal choices and especially the ease of use.

Also, if you buy SONAR, you get this awesome plugin ReValver, which does a pretty convincing tube amp emulation (a bit like a POD but a plugin). Only problem is you need a fast computer/interface to play with it realtime, but SONAR is a great investment in any case.

I don't own a POD, though I have played/recorded with them with great results. I mic an amp now, a Crate VC-30 with new tubes. I use an SM57 in a little isolation closet and play with an Ibanez tube screamer. I can get amazing sounds out of that setup, although I spent a lot of time trying to recreate the sounds I got with the borrowed POD...

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:58 am 

I use SONAR and a Pod 2.0 most of the time for recording. It is so easy to get a great sound, that it is hard to justify getting all the gear out and setting up the microphones.

The Pod may take some tweaking to get the right sound, but most people that I have played demo tapes to have preferred the sound of the POD. Go figure. I have the Ric going into the Pod and then into a 1/4" Left and Right Phono jacks that dead end into a stereo TRS plug which goes right into the computer's sound card. Easy as anything. SONAR is a great program.

I think the Ric records really well in this fashion because it has such a great tone to begin with. I even plugged my Ric into a Crate amp (xt120) the other day and the clean tone was amazing - The Ric really showed it's stuff. Hats off to crate also for really coming a long way since the late 80's.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:43 pm 

I had the opportunity to get a powerful sound card to couple with my laptop (Vaio), an Event EZBus (3 in 1 device, Computer Audio Recording Interface /Software Control Surface/Stand-Alone Digital Mixer).
I use Cubase SX vers. 3, with countless plug-ins to record all kind of instruments, and Bass POD to record the bass tracks. Everything works great and the result it's certainly professional (the only thing that needs a professional studio recording it's the voice). The use of technology for home recordings is a great chance for me to free my creativity, outside my band, into different musical directions.

Max

Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:48 am 

Quote:

Mr. Hall is any of your music available to the public?

Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:34 am 

There are several ways of recording at home. Over the years I have tried a lot of methods. When I was a teenager I began recording with analogue equipment: first I had a 2-track reel-to-reel recorder, then a four-track cassette machine, then an 8-track machine. With the 8-track analogue machine I achieved the first satisfying results. Of course, the recordings did not sound as "bright" as those of the professionals, and there was a lot of hiss, but the results sounded quite good. We even produced a CD with our 8-track machine and sold about 300 copies, when we were students. (This was before the CD-recorder was invented.)

About 10 years ago I decided to switch to the computer for homerecording. First I used a Windows PC with Cakewalk (this was when Cakewalk 4.5 was still around), then a faster PC with Cakewalk 9 and finally an Apple Powerbook with Logic (version 5 first and later version 7). I still use a powerbook for my work with the students in school but at home I have decided to go back. I just found out that working with a computer was not the right way of recording for me. You know, the possibilities seem to be endless and if you are not careful, you easily get lost. I suddenly found out that I had begun to spend hours of editing at my computer screen, but I spent less and less time writing, playing and being creative. Also there is the problem with the recording offset (the latencies) - a problem I have never been able to fix completely, although I am using a good firewire audio interface (MOTU 828mkII) and the fastest powerbook you can get.

So now I use an all-in-one multitrack-machine again (a TASCAM 2488 24-track HD recorder) and it feels like heaven. I have begun to write songs again, I have begun to play again, and if there is a mistake I "rewind" the machine and play the part another time. After all I am playing music again. So my advice - if you are looking for an easy and creative way to start homerecording - is to buy one of those 8 track HD recorders by TASCAM, BOSS or Fostex, a good condenser microphone, good headphones and a good guitar amp.

"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." (Elvis Costello)

Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:51 am 

Many times, simplicity is really the best way to do things. I got a call the other day from a client of mine at my custom black & white photo lab, Labwork www.labwork-bw.com, who I hadn't heard from in over a year. He told me he had gone digital but was now sick of it! He hated spending hours in front of his computer playing with Photoshop and the images at the end looked all the same, like "cellophane", as he put it. Today I got a nice big print order from him.

As much as I admire what can be done with modern technology, I still go out with my wooden view camera when I want to create art. Oh yeah, and with my RIC basses, too!

Board index » General Forum