Board index » General Forum

Post subject: Re: Rics and home recording
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:21 am 

For home recording, I use my Yorkville Bassmaster 50 amp which has a line output XLR jack, a little (2 channel) Behringer Mixer, and the Creative Live Platinum sound card (its front panel, has a pair of RCA Line input jacks).

I use Sonar 5 or Adobe Audition (former Cool edit Pro) and I get pretty good resultings.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:26 am 

To get my original material down I use a ZOOM MRS-8, an 8 track digital recorder, it is about one third the size of a laptop computer, has amp and cabinet modelling, massive drum machine sounds, heaps of guitar effects and mix down stuff, and a whole bunch of other stuff I have not used yet!

Song files can then be manipulated on computer or burned to CD immediately.

For being able to hear what an original song sounds like with a 'full band' this is heaven, a fantastic easy to use tool.

As for using Ricks and home recording I have written a couple of tunes that feature the unique Rick sound, one in particular is an instrumental called 'Rickfever' where my Fireglo 660/6 goes head to head with my Mapleglo 350V63 in a jangly guitar duel style heavy blues.

Cheers, Kez

Post Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:13 am 

I, too, have a Zoom digital recorder (mine's a 1266CD); In addition to recording our band's nine-song demo, I've used it for original songs and arrangements in the back bedroom.

In order to get a cleaner, more controllable signal for my Digitech Vocalist Workstation, I sprung for a Presonus Eureka preamp/compressor/equalizer. Of course, then I had to get a decent condenser mic (I decided on an AKG). I can probably come up with excuses to buy even more stuff :o)

I have a blast with my new Ric 360/12 plugged into the Eureka, then into the seemingly endless varieties of cabinet modeling and COSM effects for guitar. It's easy to lose all track of time. . .

Without a doubt, there are more sophisticated units around, but if I live to be 130, I'll still never exhaust the possibilities. A person can get into a new stand-alone eight-track digital recorder for around $300-400; can find used gear for half that. Spring for decent set of headphones and noodle away to your heart's content.

What are you waiting for?

Post Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:34 am 

My Set-up:

PC with Cubase VST (still havent got my head round the new ones, but plan to convert to SL3 next month). I use Propellerheads Reason 2.5 for drum sounds, sampling, sythesis and lots of other things. Reason is actually an amazing package and I'm still only scratching the surface of what it can do :-)

Guitars: Ric 330, Gibson Les Paul Deluxe, Peavey Milestone III bass (but a 4003 before long), and a cheapo acoustic.

For FX, I use a Digitech RP200 thats loyally served me in both live and recording situations for over 5 years. Bass FX is courtesey of a Behringer Bass V-AMP pro.

I have an AKG 3000B condenser mic that has done everything I've needed it to (mainly vox, but also some mic-d acoustic work). I used a simple Behringer pre-amp with no FX as I do all that with VST.

I started out using a very simple tascam 4-track recorder that I used to record instrumental demos with when i was 18. That really all I used for a while until a couple of years latyer when i got a BOSS BR-8 ZIp disk recorder. In some ways, it was a bit too much and I couldnt think of anything to record with it. It was actually another 4 years before I started to record properly with my computer, first rough demos for my old band which we later turned into properly recorded songs. Since I left my band, I've been working on more songs that I eventually plan to put on my own website for free!

Just wondering if anyone here has their music on the net, that we could listewn to?

Post Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:11 am 

Quote:
Just wondering if anyone here has their music on the net, that we could listewn to?

I had a few songs on mp3.com, but currently I do not have any music on the web. I plan to create a website with some old material soon. I am also working on new material, but I won´t "publish" that until I am finished with it. And when I am finished I will have it copied to vinyl first.

Do you have any material on the web yourself?

And Kez, is your song "Rickfever" available for download?

"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." (Elvis Costello)

Post Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:20 am 

Thanks to everyone for the excellent suggestions. I went out on the weekend and picked up a Pod XT Live and it is really cool. The only downside is there's no driver for my XP x64 operating system, so I'll have to try hooking it up with MIDI cables. I also took Mr. Hall's advice and got Cakewalk, although I just went with Home Studio 4. Sonar 5 looked kind of scary to a newbie like me! I also upgraded my sound card to a Sound Blaster X-Fi. I think I'm ready to go, and I definitely appreciate the suggestion about Propellerheads drum software. I'm going to check that out right away. Thanks everyone, and please keep the suggestions coming!

Post Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:11 am 

I started recording in the 60s with a borrowed Wollensack mono tape recorder, them moved up to SONY TC-200, TC-430, TC-630, TC-850 and finally a TC-854 four channel tape deck. My mikes were almost always some Radio Shack brand, like the Highball-2 which bore a vague resemblance to a Shure SM58. I finally got a couple of good Shure SM57s in the mid 70s, but by then was a "grown-up" and had put aside my rockstar dreams.

In the last couple of years though, I have been indoctrinated into computer recording. Right now, it's a pretty lightweight arrangement, using old versions of CoolEdit and Sound Forge -- both of which, of course, have been bought out by Adobe and SONY. I have gotten myself some condenser mikes, and I still have the old Shure SM57s and the two big SONY tape decks (I don't use the tape decks, but it gives the room a cool "ambience"). I use a 2-yr-old IBM Thinkpad Pentium 4, and I get fairly good results -- at least for what I'm trying to do. No special sound card, but again, since I'm recording one thing at a time, it's usually not a problem.

I almost always mike the guitar amp for guitar sounds, but I will record the bass and keyboard directly through the small Yamaha mixer I have. To me, nothing beats the Shure SM57 for miking guitar amps.

One of the reasons I like to visit these forums (beside the cool Ric gear talk) is to hear about things like other folks' home recording experiences. I also subscribe and read cover-to-cover magazines like "Recording" in the hopes of getting some education out of them. A mag like that is aimed primarily at the home recordist, and features products and techniques that have definitely helped me.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:11 pm 

Quote:
And Kez, is your song "Rickfever" available for download?

I am in a rather dilatory way building up a web site featuring my progress in guitar playing, collecting, performing, song writing etc. over the last 35 years, eventually when I get more room I'll put up some song files for download.

Let you all know when it happens...

Cheers, Kez

Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:32 am 

[. . .two big SONY tape decks (I don't use the tape decks, but it gives the room a cool "ambience").]

Hey, Kog -
I have a suggestion for your SONY tapedecks (other than for the cool ambiance, I mean): Try using 'em for some vintage "backward guitar" soloing or reverse-vocal masking -- "Cranberry Sauce" comes to mind (unless your computer DAW software can already do that, in which case, never mind :o)

Just seems like, as good as that equipment is, you could get some further use out of it. . .

My $0.02

Post Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:23 am 

Quote:
Do you have any material on the web yourself?

My old band used to have a website, but it's long since gone. Since "going solo" about 18 months ago, I've been slowly writing a lot of material and producing demos. My friend (who produces and supervises the recording) and I plan on recording all these songs properly over the summer and releasing an 'Album' on my website (for free!) sometime around July time. I used to let other people sing when I was in the band, but now I've done the vocals myself - just to warn everyone that I'm more Bob Dylan than Paul McCartney in that department.

I'll give everyone a link as soon as it's done!

Board index » General Forum