Board index » General Forum

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Your dream Rickenbacker
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:23 am 

I was wondering what everyone would come up with if they could build their own dream Rickenbacker - guitar, bass or other. Either that or own a famous/regular model you can't get.

For my dream Rickenbacker I'd make a few changes to a 381. First, I'd decrease the depth of the German carve and only use it on the front. I would add a third pickup option and Ric-O-Sound, and keep the "R" tailpiece but use it as a guide to run the strings through the body. I'd change the switching to just master volume and tone, and use the other 2 knobs for a rotary switch to get various wiring changes and tones out of, then a control for the Ric-O-Sound instead of using the pickup selector, which I would try to change to a 5-way type. The blend knob definitely stays. I would also route all of the knobs through the back to increase the amount of visible wood on the front, and do away with the pickguard. Then add some binding to the headstock, and I'm done!

If I could own a famous one that actually exists, I'd like Marty Willson-Piper's 1997 SPC with all the binding, the violin f-hole and full-width triangle markers.

If I were bring back a model, I'd bring back the WB line...maybe the 1997/1997 SPC, but add binding and triangle markers.

How about you?

Post subject: Re: Your dream Rickenbacker
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:17 am 

Doubleneck 6 and 12 string based off the 620 and 660. Maple body, maple necks, neck-throughs, rosewood fingerboards. Toasters on the 12 side, high gains on the 6 side. Twelve saddle bridge on the 12 side. A humbucker on the six side placed just forward of the bridge pickup for noisy gigs and heavy distortion. Blue burst.

Unrealistically, if the guitar could string itself up and follow me to gigs (carrying my amp), it would be a plus. And do my taxes...

Post Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:58 am 

660 with a larger and thicker body and no inlays, bindings or knobs... basically retain as much wood mass as possible instead of routing it out and replacing it with sonically dead material.

In the case of ressurecting a model... th Jazzbo and/or F-series.

Kelly - Have you ever had a guitar with massive tone options? The reason I ask is that I at one point took a Strat and had 5 Duncans (Quarter Pound Strat, Hot Rails, Custom Strat, Little 59, Custom Strat) all with tap-off-full 3-way mini-toggles plus a Fishman Powerbridge for acoustic sounds. If I'm figuring correctly that's a total of 480 combinations. I found out the hard way ($300+ in mods)that 3 to 5 sounds is all you really need, the rest just get in the way. Not sayin' don't do it... just sayin' try it out first on something like a Strat where you can get another pickguard and undo it if you don't like the results. Just my 27 years experience and 2 cents talkin'!

Post Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:24 am 

Dubhear, you're probably right about that. It would be fun though! I never liked having the 4 knobs on my guitars - I never really use them much myself. Maybe I could just have a blend control and a pickup selector!

Post Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:49 pm 

Well, for now, this one is easy. Since I am still going to college for accounting, I wouldn't mind finding a cheap beat up 330/6 fireglo (preferrably under $600). BTW, Brizilla, I wouldn't mind doing your taxes, LOL. Would help in my "Get a cheap Ric Fund". But aside from that, my dad has my dream Ric, a 1966 345 in jetglo. I wouldn't mind finding another one of those, but they just don't seem to come up at all. Have to admit that there is something about that vibrato tail piece. Also, maybe a 360/12 if I wanted to go the 12 string route one of these days.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:19 pm 

4003 with a toaster pickup at the neck, bridge pickup wired to have output increased even more than it is already (yeah, I know, strange), and with a 21 fret neck.

Oh, and color wise, it would basically be the same as the Blackstar basses, except with the classic triangles instead of the microdots.

That would be sweet. However, it's not really very much different from what Rickenbacker already makes.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:09 pm 

I already own my dream Rickys.....so.....My "fantasy" dream Ricky would be a 660 BASS model with a larger body, checked binding , full width inlays.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:35 pm 

I given thought to what a 350 with nothing more than the PZ pickup would be like. Of course, it would have to have a left-handed option.

730S Shiloh LH
4003 LH FG

Post Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:22 pm 

Ooh! Ooh! Thought of another!

A 660 Mandocello! WAIT! A doubleneck 660 Mandocello/5002!

The idea of a 600-series shaped bass is pretty cool too. The 4005 is kinda a 360 shape, but they've never (to my knowledge) messed with a 600 or 330 shape 4-stringer...

Post Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:41 am 

My dream Ric is a 5 string with all black hardware, trans black finish and an ebony fretboard, no inlays except on the 12th fret and side markers. Thin neck, 2" nut to 2.5" spacing at the bridge, hi-gain passive pickups, V-T-B controls.

*sigh*

Also, a 5 string/10 string doubleneck - same specs.

*doublesigh*

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

Board index » General Forum