Board index » General Forum

Post subject: Vintage Series 360 and 330?
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:49 am 

I have always had a romance with Rickenbacker guitars. I have the literature I sent off for when I was a kid including a signed letter from F.C. Hall. I'm a newbie on this forum so pardon me if I miss a point or something but, does it seem odd to anyone else that in the Vintage series there are no vintage appointed 330s and 360s? Is this body style not the one most of the groups who played Rickenbacker in the '60s had? Seems like 360 and 330 sixes and twelves with toaster tops (double bound and otherwise) would be the biggest selling guitars in the line. Didn't the sixties Autmnglo finish look different than the later version and why isn't it offered any more? Can anyone enlighten me? thanks. WW

Post subject: Re: Vintage Series 360 and 330?
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:34 am 

The new "factory fresh" 6 stringer 330s and 360s are actually much much better guitars then was possible to build back then and certainly things of improvement that can sometimes slightly impact original design have been implemented gradually, yet subtlety.

With the "reissue" guitars the entire philosophy is very different. Even so, these are better guitars then was possible to build or paint back then.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:35 am 

Quote:
does it seem odd to anyone else that in the Vintage series there are no vintage appointed 330s and 360s? Is this body style not the one most of the groups who played Rickenbacker in the '60s had? Seems like 360 and 330 sixes and twelves with toaster tops (double bound and otherwise) would be the biggest selling guitars in the line.

Autumnglo, welcome to the RIC Forums. The Vintage Series at one time included the 360V64, the 360/12V64 (replaced by the 360/12C63 in the C Series) and model 1997. In addition, Rickenbacker issued Carl Wilson, Roger McGuinn, and Pete Townshend Limited Edition models that gained popularity in the 1960's.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:43 pm 

It does surprise me a little that RIC haven't done this, given how relatively simple it would be and that they could certainly charge more money for the vintage-appointment models - especially now that there have been a couple of production changes to the standard models which would make them easier to adapt without setting up a different production run. The current standard-production 330 and 360 are getting close to the vintage styling now they've gone back to the narrower headstock and the full-width inlays on the 360. The only major change left from a factory point of view would be the 21-fret neck - all the rest (pickups, machineheads, TRC, knobs) are just hardware choices... in fact, you can change all these yourself aftermarket with the exception of the machineheads (not practical, once the holes have been drilled for the Schallers).

Post Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:28 pm 

360 and 330 Rics were widely used in the sixties. MANY, MANY bands played them and they were a MUST for British Invation bands and some of us who invaded nothing but wanted it so badly :o) Rickenbackers are still build in HIGH QUALITY modern versions (quite close to the originals actually... and there ar no bad periods either)

So - I think it's a very nice and strong thing that Rickenbacker more or less refuses to chase the vintage RI trend.

RI guitars are NOT and will not be vintage guitars untill after 30 years or so - no matter how much they sand and crack the finish. So - the only way to get a vintage guitar is still to buy an old one or buy a new one and play it for - well - 30 years.

To me it's much better to concentrate all the energy in the factory - just like JH and staff do it so cleverly - in building very nice HIGH quality guitars. And after all - Rickenbackers haven't changed very much over the years except for some logical improvements which it would not be a good idea to turn back to vintage level - such as old style truss rod technique.

I don't like the idea of signature guitars either. You don't become Carl Wilson or Pete Townshend just because their names are on your guitar, do you? A real Townshend signature should - btw - be a smashed one :o)

A real signature guitar is the one with your own imaginary signature on it - the one you play and love and set up to your specs. Your personal tool for making great music. And trust me - modern Rics are exactly what you need for doing so.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:50 pm 

Quote:
So - I think it's a very nice and strong thing that Rickenbacker more or less refuses to chase the vintage RI trend.
Apart from the V series and C series...??? Plenty of reissue models there, just not the two most common 6-string ones.

Quote:
RI guitars are NOT and will not be vintage guitars untill after 30 years or so - no matter how much they sand and crack the finish. So - the only way to get a vintage guitar is still to buy an old one or buy a new one and play it for - well - 30 years.
No, that's not the same thing - we're (I hope) talking about vintage reissues, which are new guitars made to old specs, not 'relics' which are new guitars deliberately damaged and faked to look like old ones... not the same thing. I hope and trust that RIC will never make a 'relic'.

Quote:
To me it's much better to concentrate all the energy in the factory - just like JH and staff do it so cleverly - in building very nice HIGH quality guitars. And after all - Rickenbackers haven't changed very much over the years except for some logical improvements which it would not be a good idea to turn back to vintage level - such as old style truss rod technique.
Agreed. Where real technical improvements can be made, they should be, as long as they don't change the look, feel and 'vibe' of the instrument too much - but it's definitely possible to do that. There are also real improvements in consistency and quality compared to the old guitars - which applies to other companies as well... and which a lot of vintage snobs don't like to admit.

Quote:
I don't like the idea of signature guitars either. You don't become Carl Wilson or Pete Townshend just because their names are on your guitar, do you? A real Townshend signature should - btw - be a smashed one :o)
I think that Pete said one reason he wanted the signature model to be made was guilt for having smashed his originals.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:13 am 

2010 is passing quickly....

I would still like to see a 60's 365 OS Vintage reissue.

Toasters, full width inlays, mapleglo

Time keeps on slipping, slipping, slipping --- into the future...

'91 330 Ric MG BH | '56 Telecaster |Agile Harm-3 12 String | Agile AL3000 | Taylor T5C | Loar LH550 | Gretsch 5122 | '06 Fender Strat | PRS SE Custom | Dillion LP jr | Ibanez AS73 | Dano DC59 | 72 Alvarez acoustic | Squier PJ Bass | 65 Fender BF Bassman

Post Posted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:18 am 

Quite frankly I prefer the 'au currant production run models of the 330 and 360.
And thy are better guitars!

And let's face it. Do they do look like anything else except a Rickenbacker?

Even a brand new Porsche 911 STILL looks a lot it's ancestor, the 1966 Porsche 911.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:53 am 

You know, if you buy the current issue 360, put toasters and an accent vibrato on it, it looks damn close. Does Ric really need MORE demand?

Post Posted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:27 am 

Even with all of the production factory enhancements at the Ric factory (such as the CNC machines, the UV paint/finish process, etc, etc.) demand keeps on growing for product.

The legendary production backlog is likely to remain as such.

Since there hasn't been a "color of the year" since 2007 and some variants to current production models have been suspended (for the time being at least), it seems highly, highly unlikely that very specialized "niche" guitars will be added to the Ric product lineup at least anytime soon.

Blame all of us here!
Once you catch Ric fever you're a goner. ...

Board index » General Forum