Board index » General Forum

Post subject: How to identify real/fake Rickenbacker 4003's
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:18 pm 

I am struggling to get a rickenbacker in the uk, the 2 options i have been given by several large firms are to import from america or to ebay it, i am dubious of buying over ebay and was wondering what are some ways to tell if it is a genuine copy?

Post subject: Re: How to identify real/fake Rickenbacker 4003's
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:52 pm 

Do you have pictures or can you direct us to a website to see the instrument(s) in question?

Check out Joey's Bass Notes (http://www.joeysbassnotes.com/). He has a section on recognizing fake Rickenbacker basses. You can also join the Rick Resource Forum (http://www.rickresource.com/forum/). There are volumes of valuable information which should assist you in recognizing fakers.

To my knowledge, official U.S. dealers are not permitted to sell new Rickenbacker instruments/parts outside of North/South America. (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong).

Rosetti Limited is the official distributor for the U.K.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:41 am 

This is the link for the one i'm interested in

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 488wt_1139

Post Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:45 am 

Quote:
I am struggling to get a rickenbacker in the uk, the 2 options i have been given by several large firms are to import from america or to ebay it, i am dubious of buying over ebay and was wondering what are some ways to tell if it is a genuine copy?

you need to read this!!! before making a bad move

http://reviews.ebay.com/SPOTTING-A-FAKE ... 0008484064

Post Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:25 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:

While it appears to be a genuine instrument, it is not legally new, as it would have been sold at retail previously and brought into the U.K. as a personal import. Also, there's certainly nothing special about the price, especially when you consider there is no warranty or after-sale service.

Any buyer would do well to request the full serial number from the seller, and then contact RIC customer service to verify it. If the seller won't provide it, caveat emptor.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:28 am 

Quote:

That 4003FG looks legit to me. I would say that you have a few things to think about: 1) The starting bid is a little high, in my opinion. Not sure how rare Ric instruments are in the U.K. or how desperate you are to get one right now, but I would shop around; 2) I'm assuming that the person selling the bass is not an authorized RIC distributor so, even though the bass is new, you wouldn't have any warranty rights. According to RIC only "authorized RIC distributors in other countries provide warranty administration appropriate to the laws of their country."

Edit: Looks like Mr. Hall beat me to it.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:35 am 

I guess Im just not able to understand why these instruments come up on the auction site, advertised as "brand new" (wich they are not) as they have been fiddled about with, no warranty, etc.

They seem to be selling for anywhere between 1 to 3 hundred more than you can get one from a dealer for! Are people snatching them up to try to turn a big profit? By the results of my reasearch, any one who does not go through a dealer (for a brand new one) is either a fool, or has not done their homework!

I think Ill wait for mine, Too much $ for me to risk it!

Post Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:36 am 

Quote:
I guess Im just not able to understand why these instruments come up on the auction site, advertised as "brand new" (wich they are not) as they have been fiddled about with, no warranty, etc.

They seem to be selling for anywhere between 1 to 3 hundred more than you can get one from a dealer for! Are people snatching them up to try to turn a big profit? By the results of my reasearch, any one who does not go through a dealer (for a brand new one) is either a fool, or has not done their homework!

The target for these auctions is the offshore market. Whilst the price offered exceeds US street prices, it can, for a variety of reasons, be substantially lower than dealer ask in some offshore markets. Whether the saving is sufficient to compensate for the loss of warranty is up to the prospective buyer.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:01 am 

Quote:
Quote:

The target for these auctions is the offshore market. Whilst the price offered exceeds US street prices, it can, for a variety of reasons, be substantially lower than dealer ask in some offshore markets. Whether the saving is sufficient to compensate for the loss of warranty is up to the prospective buyer.
I guess I have not thought about that, I can see your point. I guess people are not willing to wait either. May be worth a few more bucks to some to have it "NOW".

Post Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:37 am 

Part of the problem in the UK is the price dealers charge for new instruments compared to what they are in the States. For example, a quick look around finds a new 4003 in Mapleglo for as little as 1595 GBP ($2540) whilst any other colour is 1699 GBP ($2700). Go to one of the 'big' recognised chains in the UK and you are talking 1999 GBP for a Jetglo 4003 ($3183) or a 4001C64 FG for anywhere up to 3349 GBP ($5333).

What's a new 4003 in the USA, about $2159? That's 1359 UK Pounds. So yeah, that's a good reason why folks over here are looking to auction sites to save a few pounds.

Board index » General Forum