Board index » General Forum

Post subject: picking position and it's effect on the sound
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:44 am 

Just got the Rick 330 that I've been wishing for for many years. I think it needs some pickup adjustment but it's great and it's already teaching me new things. I'm finding that this guitar is very sensitive to WHERE I pick the strings - more so than any of my other guitars, and to get a particular trebelly attack I have to play VERY close to the bridge. Anyone else find this? To what extent is picking position a part of your playing technique?

Post subject: Re: picking position and it's effect on the sound
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:12 am 

The more time you spend playing your 330, the more you'll learn about it's potential capabilities. Any guitar or bass guitar will have it's best treble attack when picked close to the bridge. I'm a bassist and I vary the position of my plucking hand from right near the bridge to right over the last few frets of the fingerboard to help me get the different tones I want. It's possible your pickups need some adjustment to your personal liking. You might want to try tone settings on your amp or if you have an eq pedal differently than you do for other guitars.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:58 am 

I am also a bassist. With every Ric I have owned, I rested my hand on the rear pup cover. I was never one to take off the cover. It is a natural palm rest for me.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:45 pm 

I agree with Rickenbrother. Experiment with different amp settings and maybe some additional EQ will get you the sound you want in a "picking position" you are comfortable with.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:30 pm 

Experimenting is the key here. If you spend time using all the settings on the amp and guitar and the effects you plug into, over time you will work out the combinations that suits you best. I also think your hand will adjust, your technique and the way you attack the strings will over time change to get the most out of your guitar

Sometimes you accidentally find a good combination of settings to use on a particular guitar
I find Ric's easy to get different sounds that I like, however I have some other guitars, that are much harder to get right, they seem to require different amps or different effects to get right. I always use some compression in the chain

But enjoy the experimenting, and new guitar

jbudweiser

Post Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:43 pm 

Yeah, I didn't notice it as much on an amp with 3 band eq, as you just tweak to taste, but then I plugged into a vox ac4 with just a tone knob, and it sounded a bit bass heavy unless I either turned the amp tone knob right up (which, with a telecaster, would make your ears bleed), or pick really close to the bridge. But I'm going to look at the pickup height. The quest continues!

Post Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:25 am 

Dime the Ric. Mid scoop the amp and turn it up. Works every time. :twisted:

Post Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:39 am 

I noticed it too; the 330 is the most sensitive position-picking electric guitar that i have ever owned. It is almost like my classical nylon guitar on this sense.
This is actually a big plus and a most welcome characteristic! I use it a lot to bring up very rich dynamics and colors to my playing. I have a youtube video where i play an instrumental; you'll see that the melody is picked close to the bridge to punctuate accents where the singer's voice did, while the soft/mellow vocals go next to the neck. The solo is played almost on top of the fretboard looking for an extra soft tone.
Again, this is how i use my classical guitar and the 330 succeeds in bringing its body's tonal palette to the amp; nothing wrong with the pickups.
As it has been said before, experiment a lot :)
Btw, i do use the big range provided by the tone blender control. For a trebly sound move it fully clockwise if you use both pickups; alternatively just use the treble pickup ( the neck one is a tone god!)

Post Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:27 pm 

The way of using the pick (angle, stiffness, edge etc.) is much more the secret of producing a certain kind of lead guitar tone rather than where you actually pick the notes.

Rythm guitar is a bit different - fast 12 string arpeggios like in the "A Hard Days Night" chorus sounds great close to the bridge whereas loose, acoustic inspired rythm guitar fill ups is great with loser strings...

Board index » General Forum