Board index » General Forum

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: 1987 Rickenbacker 8-string
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:34 am 

I have a Rickenbacker 8-String Bass, which I believe is a 4003/S 8. Based on the serial # Decoder, I know that this one was made in March of 1987. I am interested in determining it's value, and whether there are tell-tale ways of determining if it is in any way a less-standard type than most. It does not have a steel bridge cover, as I have seen on many, it is THIS COLOR entirely,(no sunbursts or the like) and displays only a slight paint chip at the very bottom of the body and the very top of the headstock, caused by a case that is not a custom Ric case. Any ideas out there?

Post subject: Re: 1987 Rickenbacker 8-string
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:19 am 

Welcome to the forum. It must be a Midnight Blue finish. Get it a real RIC bass guitar case so it doesn't get further damaged by the case it's in now.
It's not less standard than any other 4003S/8. In this economic slump, it's not easy to put an accurate value on guitars
What other info are you seeking?

Post Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:32 am 

Is it supposed to have had the metal bridge cover? Would it need a Ric case specially done for 8-strings or just any Ric case? How many of these did Rickenbacker make until discontinuation in 2002? Those pop immediately to mind.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:25 pm 

The RIC 8-string bass was always of interest to me,I'd like to have been able to play one but they were pretty elusive unless you special ordered one.It's a rare instrument,I don't remember what the exact price was when new,but I know they weren't cheap.Good luck.(By the way,they did originally have the bridge cover.)

Post Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:56 pm 

Yeah, I expected that they did, since I've seen so many that had the distinctive bridge cover. I became the second owner of this one, so I never saw the cover, nor changed anything to the instrument whatsoever. Other than the two slight chips to the paint and the bridge, this one is as near-mint as can be. Don't give up on that dream of playing one just yet, because this one is about ready to hit the market (such as 'the market' is) and I'll be making it's availability known to the Ric group here before it goes to another site. Just need to do a touch more discovery first. Like how many of these were manufactured during their limited release.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:49 pm 

It's cool that you are asking for info about your 4003S/8, however with the exception of a few special limited edition models. RIC does not publicly disclose how many instruments they make.
Also, this is not a For Sale forum.
Semi Official Forum Rules wrote:
The selling and appraisal of items is prohibited; there are plenty of other sites for this purpose.

If you decide to sell your 4003S/8, please find another site to make your advertisement.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:03 am 

Rickenbrother wrote:
It's cool that you are asking for info about your 4003S/8, however with the exception of a few special limited edition models. RIC does not publicly disclose how many instruments they make.
Also, this is not a For Sale forum.
Semi Official Forum Rules wrote:
The selling and appraisal of items is prohibited; there are plenty of other sites for this purpose.

If you decide to sell your 4003S/8, please find another site to make your advertisement.

Rickenbrother wrote:
Welcome to the forum. It must be a Midnight Blue finish. Get it a real RIC bass guitar case so it doesn't get further damaged by the case it's in now.
It's not less standard than any other 4003S/8. In this economic slump, it's not easy to put an accurate value on guitars
What other info are you seeking?

I am totally confused here. :?: You just gave him an apprasial of the bass a couple posts ago and then post the rules that prohibit what you just did? Am I missing something? Just trying to figure out the rules.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:40 am 

I didn't appraise it. I gave a range that it might be found in. An appraisal would be an exact figure. Since I myself made an error in judgment and you weren't happy enough about my slight bending of the rules, I've removed my "appraisal" and locked the topic.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 

Board index » General Forum