Board index » General Forum

Post subject: FIFO order processing
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:18 am 

Small question: If orders are taken in FIFO order, even if just by model, then how can it be that there have been shipments of 4003 Bluebursts over the past several months (since September 2005), and there are new shipments of 4003 Blue Boys and Montezuma Browns since then (several shipped this week)? It is presumed that no orders for BB's or MB's would have been accepted after December 2004 and no orders for BBR's would have been accepted before January 2005.

Post subject: Re: FIFO order processing
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:05 am 

It would depend on what models, what is/has been in production, and (guessing on this one) possibly what color is being shot.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:43 am 

I would expect that all orders for a specific model in a given color of the year would be produced before the same model in any subsequent color of the year. Am I missing something here or what? Sure sounds like there's some dealer related preference here, perhaps related to keeping inventory flowing for smaller dealers.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:53 am 

Hello, I have yet to get a grasp on the shipping cycle of RIC. I have been told FIFO, but I dont no. Of course its hard for me to grasp what day of the week it is. LOL ;)

Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:51 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You can't look at just our shipping data to see this as there's a much bigger picture. Our production is certainly FIFO, with only some minor changes due to schedule, such as machines available. But the shipments, at the other end of the process, are much less predictable. What you're not taking into account are instruments held back for various reasons, such as rework or parts availability. That's exactly the case here, as the MB and BB instruments were produced well before the BBR but were delayed in the system for some rework.

If there's going to be issues concerning this, there's an easy solution- we could just turn off the real time shipment reporting.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:36 am 

Quote:
If there's going to be issues concerning this, there's an easy solution- we could just turn off the real time shipment reporting.

Please don't do that because of a few. Just in the past week there were two or three guitars reported here on the forums sold because the shipping info pointed seekers to shops receiving the shipments. I'm sure others not posting here also use that info.

If others choose not to search the already posted explanations before posting questions to the ship policy, or choose not to believe it, thats their perogative. You have stated the policy of RIC for all to read and the fact RIC adheres to that policy.

Those seeking a certain model guitar or bass should use the ship data, dealer info, internet, and their phone to locate an existing model. Special orders are another matter and that policy has also been posted, more than once, IIRC.

That's my 2 cents worth! F W I W

Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:40 am 

Mr Hall, thanks for your response. You've answered my question. I figured there was more to this than meets my simplistic outsider's eye.

Making a business such as Rickenbacker a success is never as trivial as most of us would love to believe, if it was, all of us would be doing it. Please continue to do the great job you are.

As for the shipping information, and for that matter, this forum, they are provided as helpful and friendly means of communicating information between customers and the company. We customers do appreciate the openness.

I appologize if I have offended you. It most certainly is not my intention, nor would it benefit anyone, least of all me. I love the instruments, the legacy, and what Rickenbacker stands for.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:18 pm 

Quote:
Quote:

Please don't do that because of a few. Just in the past week there were two or three guitars reported here on the forums sold because the shipping info pointed seekers to shops receiving the shipments. I'm sure others not posting here also use that info.

Yes, I agree. Don't turn off the shipping reporting. I've been following it closely for the last couple of months with great interest. And using the info from these reports I realised that if I could settle for a 330/12 instead of the 360/12 I ordered in September 2005 I could in fact get one delivered in just a couple of days. And ....., I'll be picking it up this afternoon!

Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:05 pm 

Maybe Rickenbacker could use their influence to get Rosetti UK to do the same thing over here.

It was worth asking lol

Ive been planning a trip to the States on the basis of the Shipment listings, so please dont take it away now!

Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:08 pm 

People use the shipping reporting a lot, I've noticed. It's a great help to anyone trying to find the Rick they want.

Board index » General Forum