Board index » General Forum

Post subject: Old Rare Rick?!!
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:27 am 

In 1967 I purchased a used 330/6 in Fireglow. In recent years I discovered my Ric was either a copy which I strongly doubted or an oddity, read rare?? Today I discovered on ebay what I had long searched for. AmericanGuitar&Band, a store in Minnesota has a 1965 330 in maple that has the same type sticker etc that mine has. They call it a custom or prototype model. I had long suspected something like this but had no proof. Their ser# appears to be 4510. Mine is 4501. Still the fastest and smoothest neck I have ever stroked. I tried to attach a file w/pic but was told it is too big. Oh well, at least I know what i have.

Post subject: Re: Old Rare Rick?!!
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:41 am 

Your computer likely has a software tool in your photo viewing program that will allow you to compress the photo. Google "How do I compress a phot file in ________?" to learn how, then please post a photo of your guitar. good to hear you bought the real deal.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:13 pm 

And what is on the Jackplate??

67 FG 625
74 JG 4000
76 JG 430
77 JG 620
77 JG 320
79 JG 4001
80 FG 620/12
81 BG 480
91 JG 610
02 BG 620

Amps -
78 TR7
83 TR25

Post Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:41 am 

Ontario_RIC_fan wrote:
And what is on the Jackplate??

There is nothing on the jackplate. It is probably one of the prototypes for the modern 330 that Rickenbacker built from the Capri. I don't know where AmericanGuitar&Band got their info but they sound very sure and are a very respected music store. I am trying to find out from them how they discovered the info about the custom, prototype models. The fellow I bought the guitar from had an odd story about the instrument but I can't remember the details. Too many years. My next step is to go into the electronics, "ie", pots, etc. I hate to mess with it as I have done nothing except change strings and play for 44 yrs. It has had some hiding under the bed time for several years.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:40 pm 

Pix! We want pix!

Post Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:18 pm 

I tried to post a link to Photobucket and it appeared that a horrendous mess was fixing to post so I canceled it. However I am pretty sure I can post an ADNutt73 wants to share this album, if anyone is interested enough. ADNutt73@aol.com Thanks for the interest and help. Especially BlueRick. I tried the downsizing of pics but I think I am going to have to invest in another computer. Continued probs.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:02 am 

ADNutt73 wrote:
I tried to post a link to Photobucket and it appeared that a horrendous mess was fixing to post so I canceled it. However I am pretty sure I can post an ADNutt73 wants to share this album, if anyone is interested enough. ADNutt73@aol.com Thanks for the interest and help. Especially BlueRick. I tried the downsizing of pics but I think I am going to have to invest in another computer. Continued probs.

It's an e-mail address you've posted... But how difficult is to compare your guitar with thousands of pictures of as many Rickenbackers on the web... :idea:

Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:25 am 

It looks nice. I can't see what would be custom out of the ordinary on it, but I haven't seen those stickers before, either. I can't imagine many of them would have survived anyway.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:58 pm 

Schmidt wrote:
ADNutt73 wrote:

It's an e-mail address you've posted... But how difficult is to compare your guitar with thousands of pictures of as many Rickenbackers on the web... :idea:

He seems to want the professional answer. ;)

Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:40 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It may be old but it's not rare, nor is it a prototype. There was a period of time when that sticker was used on some guitars in lieu of stamping the jackplate.

The statement on the music store site is just so much tripe and hype. The guitar they have is a bog standard production unit of that era, one of many.

Board index » General Forum