Board index » General Forum

Post subject: An aesthetic experience
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:51 pm 

I play my Rickenbacker 360/6 FG every day... and every time I play it is a sort of aesthetic experience due to the exceptional build quality, the outstanding fiinish and the glo in the fire - and of course the impressive sounds it's capable of producing (with a little help from you of course...).

It's not quite the same experience playing the other guitars of well known brands - far from actually.

I don't think I'm alone with this particular Rickenbacker experience. It could be the very secret behind Rickenbackers everlasting appeal

Post subject: Re: An aesthetic experience
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:59 pm 

Sure I also look forward to playing my Ric's as often as possible. The build quality is high, the
finish and design are aesthetically pleasing, and then there is the sound!

It doesn't matter how good an axe looks it's ultimately the sound which comes first, looks come in 2nd! Making a really good semi hollow or hollow is no easy feat! I credit Rickenbacker for producing the best hollows available today! Really in a way Rickenbacker are the hollow body experts, they produce and have produced and array of the best sounding and beautiful hollow body designs. OK they have solid bodies too, but as a guitarist I appreciate the hollow bodies. I think it's a lot harder to get a hollow body guitar designed and made well so it sounds great, Ric seems to specialize in these types of guitars and excels at it

What I like about the sound, well perhaps I should put it this way

It's what it does not have and what a lot of other high end custom shop brands or most guitars can have. I own quite a few high end guitars for reasonable comparison

Ric's don't sound, boxed in, twangy, growly, bitey, crunchy or any other voice that has a real accent, or nasty tone ( unless you want it too)!

Ric's on the other hand, ring with a bell like tone, just very clear and transparent
Sure they have a voice of their own but it a beautiful true voice, they make a fantastic instrument to sing with and play together..

If I want to play Country, I'll grab a twagy FFFFFFFFFender C/SThinline ( is that OK to say) LOL

If I want to play something a bit more profound or serious I'll pick up the Ric for sure, and you bet it looks as good as it sounds

Post Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:59 am 

You are absolutely right that sound comes first... but it's always nice to own a beautiful thing - like old violins or furnitures - rather than something without craftmanship, build quality, and even soul. It's incredible inspiring to play a nicely made instrument - that's how I feel anyway. I too have many guitars of well known brands to compare with - vintage and new - but none of those don't quite deliver the same pleasure to play like the Rickenbacker.

I'm not sure that I share the point of view expressed in the "Ric's doesn't sound" zone... Get your copy of "A Hard Days Night" and drop it into your machine... A Rickenbacker is instantly recognizeable on a record - with a sound all of its own. Like Telecasters and other rock'n'roll guitar icons. You know it's a Rickenbacker the moment you hear the first note ring - and that's really something in a wold with billions of sounds coming from as many sources.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:30 pm 

Yes I too appreciate and value the things made in the past using skill and workmanship which in some part has been lost to modernity, I wish I owed more vintage guitars!
I did mention Ric had a voice of their own which was beautiful and clear, I was using the'' what rickenbacker don't have'' as a contrast, I agree sound is very subjective, but I find the Ric a great instrument for vocal accompaniment, in preference to other guitars,,,LOL So did the boys for Liverpool

Post Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:18 am 

jbudweiser wrote:
Yes I too appreciate and value the things made in the past using skill and workmanship which in some part has been lost to modernity, I wish I owed more vintage guitars!
I did mention Ric had a voice of their own which was beautiful and clear, I was using the'' what rickenbacker don't have'' as a contrast, I agree sound is very subjective, but I find the Ric a great instrument for vocal accompaniment, in preference to other guitars,,,LOL So did the boys for Liverpool

It's still a mystery to me why many guitarist avoid Rickenbackers - I think they are great guitars for much more than just vocal accompainment... I wonder if it's tight connection to the British 60's rock'n'roll style. In the 60's where most of us had only one guitar a Rickenbacker could be used for all styles.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:45 am 

Schmidt wrote:
jbudweiser wrote:

It's still a mystery to me why many guitarist avoid Rickenbacker's - I think they are great guitars for much more than just vocal accompaniment... I wonder if it's tight connection to the British 60's rock'n'roll style. In the 60's where most of us had only one guitar a Rickenbacker could be used for all styles.

I really think that they are very versatile, and you can use them for all genera, I play jazz and other styles on a Ric. Most songs go down well with a Ric, but I do like to sing with a one. But sure the Ric's sound stands out on it own, my voice is not so consistent , unlike my well set up and tune Ric's. Funny I rarely play a Beatles song nowadays, but I really appreciate their influences and their axes.

Some of the video clips posted on this forum shows how versatile they can be, I know how good they sound plugged into a Vintage Fender twin with 2x 12' Jensen blackbirds, and with the ROS out a smaller amp with a Celestion gold 12 as well ''!
Now after telling you that I've got an appetite to plug in for the 3rd time today LOL

Board index » General Forum