Board index » General Forum

Post subject: Re: Being young is killing me....
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:34 pm 

My top 2 would be a 325 or a 360.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:37 am 

I saved up my money from my part time job to get my Rics, got my first one when I was about 19 or 20, then when I was 21 I went to New York City and brought back a 325C64, took me a good few years to save up but was well worth it!

Post Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:46 pm 

Hang in there. I wanted a 360/12 since I first saw Harrison play one. 40 years latter I got one. Nothing sounds like a Ric!!!!

Post Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:08 am 

This may not seem helpful, but all this waiting will definitely make you appreciate it and cherish all the more once you get it. Kids who get nice guitars (or nice anything) without having to earn them or wait for them or whatever become used to instant gratification. The alternative is much better in the big picture.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:38 am 

remstar wrote:
Being young is killing me.....

Just think what getting old will do....

Post Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:39 pm 

Ohhh I sympathise. I think I was permenenty marred by standing in my local music store at age sixteen and realizing that I had no chance in hell of affording a Marshall stack or a Les Paul for the forseeable future. That feeling set off a pattern of "guitar aquisition syndrome" (GAS) that didn't abate unil I turned 50, with twelve guitars and eight basses!

I bought my first Rick when I was 17, a brand new 4001 in the matt walnut finish (WG?) It cost $450 pounds, about $900 at that time (1977). I was earning about $25 pounds a WEEK as an apprentice for the phone company (and that was considered a GOOD job!) so the instrument represented five months after tax wages. I put down my life savings of 200 pounds, and borrowed the rest off my brother, to be repaid at 5 pounds a week. (This was a time when you could buy a good used car for 400 pounds) It truly was a heck of a struggle. First, I had to decide conclusively that I was going to play bass, as there was no money for another instrument, and secondly, I had to joing a band playing 'popular" material ( e.g. 'Tie a Yellow Ribbon Rounf the Old Oak Tree") to make that five quid a week back, otherwise it was no beer, clothes or shows. I never regretted it however.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:50 pm 

Suffering for your instrument... I've had quite a dosage of that from my 620/12 (My monthly guitar lesson money gone entirely to paying it off, and now for saving up for a new 360).

It's not a bad trade when you consider you'll never be disappointed by a Rickenbacker's build quality. Plus the creativity that exhumes from you when grasping a new guitar!

Board index » General Forum