Board index » General Forum

Post subject: The Rickenbackers of Roger McGuinn
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:34 pm 

From lurking on the forum for a while I see that there is lot's of interest in the Ricks used by John Lennon. I was curious if anyone has done similar research into the guitars used by Roger McGuinn.

I have seen early Byrds footage of McGuinn playing a mapleglo 360/12. Apparently at some point he got a 370/12 or either added a third pickup. I have heard rumours of both but I am not sure which happened. I also heard that he had custom circuitry built into his original 60's Ricks. Not sure if it was a compressor or not. I have seen a video on the net of Roger playing a fireglo 360/12 wit hi-gain pups in 1986 on a spanish TV show. Seeing him with the fireglo guitar was a a little weird.

How many Rickenbackers does McGuinn have? When did the 360 to 370 transition occur? Can anyone clear the water?

Post subject: Re: The Rickenbackers of Roger McGuinn
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:11 pm 

Well I did a little Internet research myself and came up with the following.

McGuinn's original Rick was a mapleglo 360/12 most likely a 1964 model. This was the guitar that was used for the famous Mr Tambourine sessions. It is also the model you see on the Ed Sullivan and other early TV appearances. At some undetermined time, this guitar was stolen and is now on display at some museum in Seattle.

McGuinn obtained a mapleglo 370/12 in 1966 and used this guitar from the 5th Dimension sessions through Untitled. According to some sources, this guitar had been through so much abuse from touring that McGuinn sold it and got a 1970 model 370/12 also in mapleglo.

Some of these guitars, if not all, were modified by McGuinn to have onboard electronics. Legend has it that the electronics were a treble booster that he took out of a pedal and installed under the pick guard. Pictures of the 66 show that the hole for the switch was very badly cut. Probably a done at home job by McGuinn. Also the rearward facing tuning pegs were installed backwards on the 1966 model. If the guitar was laying flat on a table, six of the pegs would be pointed at the ceiling. No explanation as to why this was done. People speculate that it was done to make restringing easier.

As far as other Ricks go, as mentioned in the op, you can find pics of McGuinn playing a fireglo 360/12 in the 80's. He has mentioned in interviews that he has two of the lightshow Ricks. Of course he has an undisclosed amount of 370/12rm models that he uses in concerts. McGuinn himself states that he is sworn to secrecy as to the exact number of Ricks that he owns.

Well that is about all I could find....anyone have more? Any clarifications or corrections?

Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:13 am 

McGuinns's Rick history is well documented on various internet sites.Do some research.To answer the Spanish fireglo question - he has stopped taking his own 370 abroad with him and relies on the venue to provide a Rick.I saw him locally last year using a 330-12 in a light blue colour but he makes any Rick sound terrific.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:26 pm 

Interestingly enough, a lot of popular artists claim they own some of McGuinn's old Rics. Richard Thompson has a fireglo, which he bought from an associate of McGuinn (I believe), but it was quite unique: It had a long headstock instead of the traditional Ric short/six string style.

Board index » General Forum