Board index » General Forum

Post subject: Stupid String Question
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:47 pm 

Here's a couple of question for those of us who have a collection of different basses, guitars, etc.; how do you store the extra sets of strings? How long should new strings last if left in their original packaging, and kept, as Tom Petty sang, "in a cool, dry place"? I have different kinds and sizes of strings on almost all my basses, and, combined with the guitars, banjo and mandolin (which can go through strings like .... through a goose), my music room closet looks like Strings Are Us, even with just one extra set apiece. Any advice/suggestions?

Post subject: Re: Stupid String Question
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:56 pm 

Stupid question, no such thing! Just out of curiosity I went to my music closet, and from your description it is not to dissimilar to yours, I too order in bulk so I can have up to 50 or 60 sets as back up and also extra spare singles E 's . b's and G's. I inspected a random sample of strings that were 1 year old in in their original box, and they are all fine! :lol: I counted the sets I have 58 sets and 40 spares, my goodness, you may think I'm suffering some residual affect form the Cold war, I'm hoarding stuff like as if maybe someone might push the button at any time :lol:

However when I checked some ''spare'' high E, in 9's 10's and 11's and some B 11's and 12's that were 2 years old and out of their main packet and just in their envelope, some of those looked slightly tarnished and probably had the evidence of some very small rust spots
But all the ones that are still in their complete boxing are perfect. No strings other than the
plain steel E and b that are 2 years and just in the envelopes looked affected. If I wanted to I could still use them I would just need to wipe them when I put them on and I would only put them on a practise instrument. If I would have kept those spares in extra packaging or in an air tight container they might still be perfect

So maybe if your are going to store sets think high and dry, and for long storage maybe try an air tight container and leave it sealed until you need to get at them.

It's just the plains steel string that are out of their box and just in their envelope that are the ones that might deteriorated after 2 years or so. Maybe use an air tight container for those

I would like to have a '' sticky beak'' at your Music Room and cabinet! Sounds like fun! :D
Also your " stupid question has made me realise that I need to protect my spares a bit better in an air tight container or just not keep so many. I know I'm an Aussie but not your typical one if their is such a thing. Now to me running out of strings is like an Aussie running out of beer!!!!! ;) :lol:

Post Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:05 am 

An Aussie running out of beer!! :o :o ...........That is impossible! :lol:

Post subject: Stupid String Question
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:46 pm 

I tend to buy several packs of strings at a time (especailly when one has to meet a minimum order quantity or are going to pay xxx amount in postage and handling already with an order). So I keep the spare strings in their packaging, and wrap up silica gel packets with the string sets inside plastic bags, to absorb moisture. I keep these bagged string sets inside a sealed plastic tupper-ware box and throw in several more silica gel dessicant packs to control moisture content, since it will rust strings.

I also keep bridge covers, pickup mounting hardware and other metal spare parts for Rics inside the same sealed tupper ware container with the dessicant packs.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:48 pm 

8MilesHigher wrote:
I tend to buy several packs of strings at a time (especially when one has to meet a minimum order quantity or are going to pay xxx amount in postage and handling already with an order). So I keep the spare strings in their packaging, and wrap up silica gel packets with the string sets inside plastic bags, to absorb moisture. I keep these bagged string sets inside a sealed plastic tupper-ware box and throw in several more silica gel desiccant packs to control moisture content, since it will rust strings.

I also keep bridge covers, pickup mounting hardware and other metal spare parts for Rics inside the same sealed tupper ware container with the desiccant packs.

All good advice. Yes the silica is a good idea to toss in!

:lol: Note I said air tight container....... yes I could have said Tupperware but the reason I did not has got nothing to do with naming brands! I just did not want to ''appear'' too domesticated. We have a saying/slang for a man who's been ''over'' domesticated in Australia ( but I cannot say it here). :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:42 pm 

I just noticed that my reply to everyone's thoughtful posts, didn't itself get posted! That's what I get for using the 'puter at work. Anyhow, thanks for the suggestions and info; I have some empty ammo cans that will work nicely, as well as a handful of silica gel packs. I live in Las Vegas, so rust isn't really much of a problem. The cans will work nicely, though. I think I was more worried about strings taking a "set" all coiled up for a long period. When I was a surveyor, we went to great lengths to keep that from happening to our steel tapes; I doubt, after thinking about it, that it would be a problem with strings. They get pulled much tighter than we could ever pull a tape.
And, jBud, I don't think you would want to go in my "music room"; it's more like a giant version of Fibber Magee's closet right now. :shock: about covers it

Post Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:26 am 

How do I store extra strings? On the bookshelf in my spare bedroom where the instruments are.

Board index » General Forum