Board index » General Forum

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: New YouTube Video
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:49 pm 

I really admire that, John. However, I know Alembic has the same feeling about "free" instruments, but they did make a special bass for Stanley Jordan for being a long, loyal customer and user. Would you ever do this for someone like Roger McGuinn or Peter Buck?

Sorry if such questions are annoying and persistent. :)

Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:51 pm 

Sartori wrote:
What's wrong with an Aussie accent?

The accent is not wrong, however when you go to singing lesson everything is up for scrutiny! When she had me practising vowels sounds,,,,,,,, It became clearly obvious to me that the way I was going about it was clumsy and inefficient for singing.

I suppose you want me to self humiliate myself and give you an example

My teacher vowels ........ ''Ooh'' ''Eee'' "Ooh'' "Eee'' ''Ayi'' :D :D :D

My vowels on my first lesson ''Ew'' ''Eyee ""Ew'' ''Eyee'' ''Ayee'' :lol: :lol: :lol:
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

My example is a bit exaggerated but it gives you an idea of what my teacher had to face! Many past vocal habits of mine had to be undone and replaced with better ones, easy to say not so easy to do.

Now that should give you an idea of what's wrong with our accent for singing, it should become clear in my self humiliating example. Glad to say my singing has improved out of sight since those days. I'm proud of my voice now. Yes my teacher probably was rubbing her hand together when she first meet me, I'm what you call a long term investment! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:37 pm 

JohnHall wrote:
jbudweiser wrote:
By the way.....would you like to hear the story of what Mr Halls recollections are of what happened at his home the night The Beatles appeared on the Ed Sullivan show, I wonder if he can be persuaded to tell it or just might agree to tell it?

Easy to tell.

I was away at boarding school and we had no TV's. Didn't see it and only heard about it when I went home for vacation.

My parents, of course, we're actually at the show. You can see the back of dad Hall's head in some of the shots. (A couple of you know why I make that distinction!)

Thanks John. What a shame you missed it! We never had a TV in those days either
It was just an idea I had, I though if you had seen it, it would have been a good story for you to have told. In a way because I missed out back then but now I'm so interested in Rickenbackers, I feel slightly deprived and I'm looking for some gaps to be filled. Your from the West Coast, you can understand I just wanted to share the experience! Thanks for telling us all what you did do! Yes I agree it was fairly basic as a child back then, children these days have so much more interaction with the media!

Post Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:25 am 

JohnHall wrote:
Miesque wrote:
How many,if any,"famous" guitar players have tried to get a free guitar of you over the years?Don't expect you to name names but would be interesting if you did!

Honestly, I don't know any that have asked. But many have contacted us asking if we'd SELL them one . . . usually something special.
Miesque wrote:
Do you at least give a "named" signature model to the artist concerned as part of the deal?

These have all been done on some contractual basis (more often than not, oral) and most have included some of their namesake guitars. And some have purchased "their" guitars as gifts or promotions.
Miesque wrote:
One last thing,any chance of bringing white back in the 330 series?

The last white instrument we did was a real pain, so I doubt it.

Many thanks for your candid replies John.

I know 3 managers over here of pop/music groups and would love to see their faces if they tried to get away with some of their antics with you.They seem to have an aversion to pay for anything.The usual cds,free entry at concerts,free bar/food/area but they milk it.Pedicures,manicures,haircuts all buckshee for the sake of a photograph.......usually with a tabloid photographer lurking in the background.

Asking you for a couple of guitars for a quick photoshoot might put a stop to their freeloading.

One final question if you don't mind?Ever thought about paying a production company to do a proper and thorough documentary on your company from its start
to present day? Still so many people alive who ain't getting any younger who could add enormous interest to it.I know it sounds a bit exclusive but if it is done well,then anyone with a like of music would be interested in it.Can't get anymore quotes from the likes of Lennon,Harrison,Carl Wilson but be nice to hear from those still with us who played Rickenbackers in the last 40-50 years.

Post subject: New YouTube Video
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:59 pm 

Great video there JH ! And thanks for sharing the Ed Sullivan show story.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:26 pm 

Ain'tGotNoPokemon wrote:
Sartori wrote:

Nothing, but I can understand a voice coach getting irritated with it. When I studied voice, I never heard my instructor say she enjoys Ozzy Osbourne or Peter Gabriel; both singers with accents in their singing. Same goes for Country singers. I have yet to find a professional singer (You know what I mean) who considers Country real singing.

Look up Patsy Cline.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:36 pm 

Rickissippi wrote:
Ain'tGotNoPokemon wrote:
Sartori wrote:

Nothing, but I can understand a voice coach getting irritated with it. When I studied voice, I never heard my instructor say she enjoys Ozzy Osbourne or Peter Gabriel; both singers with accents in their singing. Same goes for Country singers. I have yet to find a professional singer (You know what I mean) who considers Country real singing.

Look up Patsy Cline.

I must be too young to know who she is. :roll: I don't consider her Country.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:13 pm 

8MilesHigher wrote:
Great video there JH ! And thanks for sharing the Ed Sullivan show story.

+1!

Post Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:25 pm 

Ain'tGotNoPokemon wrote:
I don't consider her Country.

The Country Hall of Fame, as well as countless others in the country music industry, disagree with you. While she did have some crossover hits, every hit of hers registered on the country charts, always ahead of the placement on the pop charts.

http://allmusic.com/artist/patsy-cline-p65087

In fact, she's still making the country charts in 2011:

http://allmusic.com/artist/patsy-cline-p65087/charts-awards

Post Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:03 pm 

Rickissippi wrote:
Ain'tGotNoPokemon wrote:
I don't consider her Country.

The Country Hall of Fame, as well as countless others in the country music industry, disagree with you.

And? If the majority dictated my opinion, I wouldn't be an individual.

I think John Hall can attest to differing from the norm, as his guitars have for many years. I'd like to think everyone on this forum has their own opinions and beliefs, because we all own beautiful instruments that the majority of guitar players do not normally appreciate. If you don't believe me, go over to Ultimate Guitar. ;)

I also don't consider a large amount of Willie Nelson's catalog to be country. Nor Glen Campbell and others. My opinions are based on my own experience in music and enjoying music of most genres for my whole life. My opinion dictates nothing more than what I believe, and isn't worth arguing about. ;)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » General Forum