Board index » General Forum

Post subject: Going to buy a RIC. Need a piece of advive
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:45 pm 

Hello, I'm giong to purchase 340-12 or 370-12 RIC. I have never played them before, and I need your advice, which model you personally would choose. As far as I see, there aren't many differencies between them, but for stereo output on 370-12.

What would you recommend?

Post subject: Re: Going to buy a RIC. Need a piece of advive
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:48 pm 

I think the 370/12 looks nice.

Only because I own a 360/12 ....

Post Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:03 am 

The 370-12 looks like McGuinn's famous model.

I think you'd be an original with 340-12.

For me, the third pick up does nothing more than what the 2 pickups already do. Plus it gets in the way. That's why I have a 360 and a 360-12.

Reasons why I prefer the 360/370 over the 330/340:

1. Love the stereo output.
2. Love the body contour.
3. Love the binding.
4. Love the sharktooth inlay.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:32 am 

I have a 370-12 and it plays great and looks great. I have it with the VP option as well. I would recommend this guitar. To me, it is overall better looking, has the stereo option and feels comfortable to play with the rounded front contours.

MMM

Post Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:37 am 

Krasov,

Have you access to the 620/12? I prefer the 620/12 to the 330/12 I had previously. Between the 360 and 330/12, I'd go with whichever YOU prefer. The 330/12 would cost somewhat less, if this is of interest to you. Good luck!

Eggman

Post Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:53 am 

I like the 370/12 a little more than the 340/12 because of the shark's tooth inlays, and the stereo output. But frankly, I'd be torn, too, because the other is a great, great guitar, too, as well as a little more rare in my experience.
Also, it depends on which you like more. They are different guitars, after all.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:50 pm 

The 620's are more affordable than the 300 series. If you don't mind a solid body, many of them feel more comfortable than a big semi hollow, you can also still get the tone with those pickups rather than get 650's with humbuckers. all of the guitars are cool really, it depends what you can try in a store, how much money you have, and how long you're willing to wait.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:54 am 

I know this is off topic, but you are about to buy a ric and i just got mine today! Thank you Rickenbacker for the most handsome guitar I've ever held!

Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:20 am 

Quote:
The 620's are more affordable than the 300 series. If you don't mind a solid body, many of them feel more comfortable than a big semi hollow, you can also still get the tone with those pickups rather than get 650's with humbuckers. all of the guitars are cool really, it depends what you can try in a store, how much money you have, and how long you're willing to wait.

Thank you. but I have already a solid body 12-string, it is Fender Strat XII, single-coiled pickups are replaced with humbuckers.

But I want a semi-hollow RIC guitar, like 340 or 360/370. Need a classical one, according to the vintage sound of byrds, beatles, etc.

I'm ready to wait for quite a long time. I don't need to hurry. Moreover, in Russia RICs are not stored at all, you have to purchase them. Especially the 12string models.

At one forum, http://seymourduncan.com/forum/showthre ... ckenbacker , I found the following information:
Quote:
2a, The factory only supplies a six saddle bridge on the 12 strings- in order to set your intonation you have to order the OPTIONAL 12 saddle bridge- at a cost of 50-70 bucks,
and you have to install it yourself.
4. In order to get the Vintage Rick sound, you have to order the OPTIONAL toaster pickups- at a cost of around a hundred bucks-and you also have to install them yourself.
9. It's almost impossible to find a guitar tech that is either competent enough, or willing to work on it for you. There aren't alot of these guitars around, so most techs have no experience with them. Many will screw it up-trying to use the normal set-up tricks.
Is this true?

Board index » General Forum