Rickenbacker International Corporation - Forum
http://www.rickenbacker.com/forum/

Which Fender amp for the Beatles/Byrds sound?
http://www.rickenbacker.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14823
Page 2 of 3

Author:  2tensandan18 [ Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:45 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Which Fender amp for the Beatles/Byrds sound?

Even the 15 watt Blues Jr will provide that clean fender tone. Until you crank it up, that is.

Author:  Ain'tGotNoPokemon [ Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:52 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Which Fender amp for the Beatles/Byrds sound?

kvalois wrote:
Yes--I used to lug around those 60 lb. amps, too. But, my friends tell me that they are not needed. Apparently, most people now just "mike" up a smaller amp!

Or completely forgo a guitar amp, and use a processor (POD, Digitech, etc) through the P.A. If you know what you're doing, there's no reason it won't sound great.

Author:  Rickissippi [ Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:13 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Which Fender amp for the Beatles/Byrds sound?

Ain'tGotNoPokemon wrote:
kvalois wrote:
Yes--I used to lug around those 60 lb. amps, too. But, my friends tell me that they are not needed. Apparently, most people now just "mike" up a smaller amp!

Or completely forgo a guitar amp, and use a processor (POD, Digitech, etc) through the P.A. If you know what you're doing, there's no reason it won't sound great.

Have you ever done this live in a band situation?

Author:  zoot [ Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:28 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Which Fender amp for the Beatles/Byrds sound?

Just got a Vox AC35 for my 360/12 Amazing Beatle sound and only cost $400

Author:  eggman [ Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:10 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Which Fender amp for the Beatles/Byrds sound?

Howdy,

A Rickenbacker 12 through a Twin sounds fantastic. Objectively, I prefer big 6L6 Fenders (Twins, dual Showman, et al) with Rickenbackers. The clean tones are wonderful.
Last week yours truly was fooling around in the livingroom with my MapleGlo 360 plugged straight into an old '68 Vibro Champ. The wife walked in and complemented me for how good "Don't let me down" sounded at low volume, with the tremolo.

Author:  IndieKid [ Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:00 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Which Fender amp for the Beatles/Byrds sound?

I'm way too late to this, but for posterity:

Classic Ric-era Beatles was Vox AC30. Some of the really early tracks may have been non-top boost. Later they moved to 50s and 100s and George finished up with 730s. By 68 they were using Fender.

I always thought of the Byrds as more of a Fender sound but pretty early on MgGuinn was going straight into the board via a compressor. He's been talking up the Janglebox in recent interviews.

It's BF Fender all the way for me. Even when I start messing with differnt models in the POD I always come back to the Fenders. I've got a reissue Twin Reverb and it's ridiculous given that I only play it in the house, I should swap it for a Deluxe. But it just sounds sooooo good!

Author:  Ain'tGotNoPokemon [ Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:47 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Which Fender amp for the Beatles/Byrds sound?

IndieKid wrote:
I'm way too late to this, but for posterity:

Classic Ric-era Beatles was Vox AC30. Some of the really early tracks may have been non-top boost. Later they moved to 50s and 100s and George finished up with 730s. By 68 they were using Fender.

I always thought of the Byrds as more of a Fender sound but pretty early on MgGuinn was going straight into the board via a compressor. He's been talking up the Janglebox in recent interviews.

Yeah, to be fair, that's a covered subject on these forums. ;)

Author:  RicVic [ Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:25 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Which Fender amp for the Beatles/Byrds sound?

After much thought, and a certain amount of research, I settled on one that McGuinn himself used for a while in his solo concerts, the venerable Roland JC. However, McGuinn uses/used the huge (and heavy) JC120, while I picked up the slightly smaller JC77 (much the same electronics/chorus, smaller speakers, and most important, nearly 30 lbs lighter! They're out there, robust, clean as all getout, and sometimes can be had for a song.

Author:  Ain'tGotNoPokemon [ Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:55 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Which Fender amp for the Beatles/Byrds sound?

RicVic wrote:
After much thought, and a certain amount of research, I settled on one that McGuinn himself used for a while in his solo concerts, the venerable Roland JC. However, McGuinn uses/used the huge (and heavy) JC120, while I picked up the slightly smaller JC77 (much the same electronics/chorus, smaller speakers, and most important, nearly 30 lbs lighter! They're out there, robust, clean as all getout, and sometimes can be had for a song.

It's my understanding that any of the Roland Cube amps get the same tone.

Author:  BlueRick [ Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:17 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Which Fender amp for the Beatles/Byrds sound?

The Roland Cubes are pretty sweet.

Page 2 of 3 All times are UTC - 8 hours
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/