Board index » General Forum

Post subject: Re: Are guitar wall mounts safe?
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:49 am 

What happens if you get a '' shake'' on the West Coast. Do you think they would still be Ok hanging on the wall? I leave mine in their cases, my house has a cyclone and wind rated category design, but if we got a big cyclone, nothing may help. The closet I keep them in has extra bracing, if I had to evacuate, I'd be tossing in as many guitars as possible, if there's enough room I'll even take a few passengers "n pets! :lol: :lol: Maybe I need roof racks that's a bit like mounting brackets on wheels!

Maybe Buchrobs comment has merit, the wall brackets may not be the best for the neck, The weather fluctuates often where I live so the case is the best way to go for me.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:09 am 

The answer to your original question is: Far from!
There's no reason to be concerned about neck stress and guitars dropping. The real danger is low humidity. Coming below 35% RH for longer periods can be the kiss of death for a maple guitar like 330's and 360's.
The wood shrinks and may even crack (see the crack in George Harrisons 360/12 next to the sound hole here: http://www.rickresource.com/forum/viewt ... 2&t=402986. That crack could very well be caused by drying out). So there is only one correct place for a guitar that is not played - and that's in it's case.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:47 am 

Thanks for the responses, everyone. Lot's of good info.

-Oliver Wendell Holmes-

Post Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:06 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I don't think that wall mounts affect the neck or playability at all and I agree that the weight of the instrument might actually help keep the neck straighter.

The danger is the padding; many mounts have foam that will plasticize the finish over time. We've had long experience with the Hercules brand mounts and I can tell you that these are non-reactive, as well as having a self-locking mechanism that I think is a must, at least here in earthquake country. If there's any doubt, replace the foam with genuine silicone rubber tubing, preferably the FDA compliant variety. McMaster Carr sells this by the foot.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:33 pm 

Thank you Mr. Hall, and everyone who responded. I actually do keep my house climate controlled, and keep the humidity to around 50 percent. Thanks again, I feel more at ease now.

-Oliver Wendell Holmes-

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:49 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Consistent 50 percent humidity is too high for your guitars, at least Maple ones; might be okay for tropical hardwoods like Mahogany. 35% is the target for our instruments.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:33 am 

JohnHall wrote:
Consistent 50 percent humidity is too high for your guitars, at least Maple ones; might be okay for tropical hardwoods like Mahogany. 35% is the target for our instruments.

Thank you Mr. Hall, I'm gonna drop that number down to 40%. I appreciate the help, Sir.

-Oliver Wendell Holmes-

Post Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:20 pm 

I've used wall hangers for 30 or more years. I use the "pegboard" type that music stores used to use, and haven't seen any finish discoloration or plasticization. I've always assumed that the downward pull of the body helps keep the neck straight against the pull of the strings. Mine are hung in my home studio, and I find that having about 10 instruments on hangers is much more convenient than having them in cases, and makes me much more inclined to experiment with different guitas and basses on a track. Sometimes just putting one guitar back in the case, hauling another case out of the closet and getting another instrument out is enough to kill that rare moment of creativity. Also I find that open cases on the floor are a real "tripping over" hazard, and tend to be a very attractive sleeping area for cats.

PS: I'm somewhat confused by the idea that has popped up that keeping an instrument in its case somehow protectes it from low humity. I'd imagine that most cases are far from airtight. If it's 35% outside, it will soon by 35% in the case. Now if there's a humidifier in the case, it makes sense......

Last edited by martinH on Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:36 pm 

Well, I pick my current favorite guitars from the feeling I get. If I need a thick sound and a contrasting thin sound, I leave the two guitars out; sometimes in an unlocked case lying together, or just on the floor.

In fact, if you went into my guitar room now, you'd see two guitars lying on the floor near my pedalboard. I don't know if the humidity is stable in the room or not. I just play my guitar. If there was a crack in the wood, I would still play it. If its not playable or fixable, then it can make a nice trophy.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:51 pm 

JohnHall wrote:
. We've had long experience with the Hercules brand mounts and I can tell you that these are non-reactive, as well as having a self-locking mechanism that I think is a must, at least here in earthquake country.

I live in Oklahoma, and I was bloody well sure that I wasn't living in earthquake country until last month, when we suddenly had four or five that we could feel. Maybe the New Madrid fault is waking up? Everyone assures us it has nothing to to with hydraulic fracking of gas wells around here. Or, at least, everyone in the gas industry does.

No problems with the guitar hangers, but I did lay in bed listening for the sound of my very heavy Mini-Moog (that is attached to my home studio wall by some dubious brackets that probably missed the studs) falling to the floor. Fortunately it stayed up, although it is now out of tune (The tuning pots are incredibly sensitive, and just moving the thing in the car is enough to require a re-tune. There was one golden moment, sometime in 1999, when I has all three oscillatiors and the filter tracking properly. Then the outside temprature changed by 10 degrees.... ).

Board index » General Forum