Board index » General Forum

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: First Post/Is this legit?
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:34 am 

This is my very first post in this forum.
I've seen many interesting threads in here so I decided to join in on the fun! I'm really a noob on Rickenbacker stuff and I hope I can learn something new here.

Also, I've been looking into buying my first, a 4080/6 or just any RIC bass+guitar double neck. I'm trying to find something similar to the Jetglo one that Mike Rutherford or Geddy lee played. I know they both have different ones but I'm fine settling for either (although I'd actually prefer Rutherford's).

I cant seem to find one around that's reasonably priced. I found one on this website which is probably fake but I'm not so sure (noob). Though it says that it's "Made in China" in the description, it says "Made in USA" on the actual guitar itself. Do you think this is safe to buy?

{Link to Chinese Website Deleted}

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: First Post/Is this legit?
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:56 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm not sure whether this is an attempt at humor . . . Given that it says "Made in China", and we wave the American face in eveyone's face most of the time, what do *YOU* think?

If it's too good to be true, it's too good to be true.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:54 pm 

You will not find a *cheap* Ric double neck anywhere, ever. That Chinese crap is just that, pure garbage, (and illegal). don't waste your time.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:48 pm 

2tensandan18 wrote:
You will not find a *cheap* Ric double neck anywhere, ever. That Chinese crap is just that, pure garbage, (and illegal). don't waste your time.

+1
Don't waste your time and money with any faker, where ever it might come from.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:59 pm 

2tensandan18 wrote:

Personal experience?

OP, if you are unable to locate a used model, you can always go the Mike Rutherford route and put a 360/12 and Rickenbacker bass together. Don't ask me how. ;)

Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:40 pm 

Personal experience?

What are you inferring? Answer: no, just knowledgable.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:50 pm 

2tensandan18 wrote:
Personal experience?

What are you inferring? Answer: no, just knowledgeable.

Well, the only real way to KNOW that any Rickenbacker copy is "crap" is to actually play a few. Therefore, unless you have personal experience with the models in question, how can you have an opinion on their quality?

I don't think you're gaining points with many people, and that may not be your objective, but the long debate/discussion on fakes versus real Rics is that it's not necessarily the quality. It's the ethics and loyalty, not the product itself. For one thing, it's made in China, which is a terrible place to work, and if you buy a Chinese fake, you're supporting their system. Another thing, it's actually food off of Rickenbacker's plate, who designed the instrument.

I'd like to believe an American made Rickenbacker is ten times the instrument than a Chinese fake, but I have yet to see a copy in person, and cannot commentate on their actual quality. I do know that there are well made foreign instruments, but that's not the principle of the matter. I will never buy one.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 

Board index » General Forum