Board index » General Forum

Post subject: hello, new to the forum. 325V59 natural with F-Hole?
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:37 pm 

Hello everyone!
My name is Ed, I am new to the forum. I am from Tokyo Japan.
I would like to seek your help and advise on buying my first Rickenbacker.
I have seen a Ric on one of the local shops here. According to the store, it is a 325V59 model in natural color. It has a Bigsby on it, toaster knobs.
But one thing I notice is that it has an F-hole.
I have been doing research on the internet, and have been looking as well on the forums, but so far have had no luck on finding further info.
I would like to know the following:
Has there ever been a 325V59 in natural color that has an F hole in it?

Thank you very much for your help in advance
I am attaching some pics for reference

http://s1067.photobucket.com/albums/u42 ... _Fhole.jpg

-Ed
Tokyo Japan

Post subject: Re: hello, new to the forum. 325V59 natural with F-Hole?
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:21 pm 

I am blinded by the greatness. Please, someone... Shield my eyes!

You're suppose to buy the Rickenbacker and ask questions later! :D Only joking.

That looks like a Rose Morris crossed with a John Lennon model. I haven't ever seen one quite like it... I'm not expert, though. ;) Nice guitar!

Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:46 pm 

thank you for the reply. Me too, I have never seen anything like it as well. I will visit the shop later to see if I can get the serial number and put down a deposit on it.

In the meantime, I hope other members could chime in and provide some advise on what they think about this guitar.

1. Is it authentic?

2. Is it really a 325V59, but somehow has an F-hole?

Much thanks!

-Ed

Post Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:15 am 

Check out http://www.rickbeat.com/

In the models tab on the left: Model 325. Apparently, it's not unusual to have an f-hole or lack the "skunk" strip down the neck and wings on the headstock.

Your best bet would be to check out the serial number at the Rickenbacker site under the Service -> serial number tab.

I don't see an exact match under the Service -> Model identification tab on the Ric site either, but it's not unusual for buyers to switch knobs or add a Bigsby in the aftermarket.

Value would depend if you are a collector or a player.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:43 am 

KariZawaMan wrote:
thank you for the reply. Me too, I have never seen anything like it as well. I will visit the shop later to see if I can get the serial number and put down a deposit on it.

In the meantime, I hope other members could chime in and provide some advise on what they think about this guitar.

1. Is it authentic?

2. Is it really a 325V59, but somehow has an F-hole?

Much thanks!

-Ed

As I said before, it's a Rose Morris model: http://www.vintageandrare.com/product/R ... Glow-18260

Post Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:56 pm 

thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.
Well, I bought my FIRST rickenbacker! Well, not yet officially, since I just made a partial payment on it, and will pay the rest after a month. I went to the store yesterday, played it again (this was my 3rd visit), and spoke to the shop owner more about the guitar with my limited Japanese ability :)
Anyway he showed me an old Rickenbacker book(Catalog) which had pictures and descriptions of all the guitars in Japanese. There was a picture of this exact model of what seems like a 325V59 with an F-hole. In the magazine it simply read as "325" model, and it had a bigsby vibrato.
Anyway, I played it again, LOVED it and decided to make the deposit, and have my first Rickenbacker. Oh, and I also checked the serial number. It is W04358. And according to serial decoder, it was manufactured October of 1997.
Thank you once again for everyone's Help! I do appreciate you being 'round.

:)

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:09 pm 

Congratulations, will you have to wait long till you can take it home?. Do you own other guitars? There is all sorts of info on this forum, re care , maintenance, set up, strings, etc.
all good things to look at and read as a new owner ( soon to be)

OK it's got a bigsby, I suppose I should congratulate you on that again!
I must admit, I like the f hole, yes more points for that too.

Just a thought, I wonder if you could convince the seller to kindly photocopy that Japanese catalogue, magazine for you. It's just an added bit of history on your guitar.
Check the case (especially the handle) for when you take it home and carry it around it must be safe.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:00 pm 

Jbudweiser,
Thank you for the kind comments. Yes I will need to wait to bring home the guitar, as I need to make full payment first. I went there during my lunch break the other day, and played it, and enjoyed it very much. What a sound that guitar makes! Anyway, it will take me a month to pay the remaining balance, so I must have patience. As for the magazine, that is a good suggestion. I am sure it will be ok to photocopy that magazine catalog. I will make sure to do it, and post pics! As for other guitars I own, I have an acoustic guitar and a PRS semi-hollow guitar. I am a big Beatles and John Lennon fan, and so I have always wanted the 325, but just never had the finances and chance to buy a Rickenbacker until now. Needless to say, I am very excited, and looking forward to owning my first Rickenbacker!

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:49 pm 

That's would be really good if you could post pics of the magazine!
That is a serious, fun guitar, and yes I bet when you plugged it in you where impressed with the sound. Rickenbacker's do produce a very clear tone, you can always dial in a good tone.
I think it's good idea you check over the guitar while in the shop, they may be able to fix anything or set up the guitar to your particular style or hand. Until you pay the final payment you are in a position to see that the guitar is perfect. Yes you will have be patient, but at least you have time to gather info on this guitar. I know sometimes only certain model went to certain countries, it will be interesting if any more info turns up on this model.
If you buy from a shop, try to get bells and whistle service, and a perfect guitar.
A really good pro set-up with new strings, can make a major difference.
Does the shop sell many Rickenbacker's, do they have a professional guitar tech ( used to working on Ric's)?

Post Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:41 am 

Jbudweiser,
Everytime I visited the shop, and I plugged it in, I was amazed by the sound I heard! First two times, they plugged it on a Fender amp, and then last time I was there it was on a Marshall amp. I was blown away when I played (shyly) a few beatles tunes like "Nowhere Man", "I saw her standing there" and a little "All My loving". hahaha. Wow just wow! I decided to pay the deposit! The people at that store have very good guitar techs from what I can tell. They carry a lot of guitars, and now that you asked...YES...they have some Rickenbackers! I have my eye on right now on one remaining (and NEW) 325C64 that was manufactured in 2011. The shop owner told me that the waiting time was quite long for this new Ric to be delivered. But alas, it is very pricey, so I will need to do a lot of thinking and planning to save up for it. By the way, I played that 325C64 as well in the store for about 10 minutes...hahaha! Wow, just wow. It was very very comfortable to play with, and I can honestly compare the feeling to being in a new car! (if that makes sense). They also have a few used Rickenbackers like the 330 and 360 models as well.

Board index » General Forum