Board index » General Forum

Post subject: Re: hello, new to the forum. 325V59 natural with F-Hole?
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:26 am 

This is interesting. It seems as though you played both the 325V59 as well as the 325C64 before buying the '59. Since they both sounded good, what made you decide to buy the '59? I'm just curious, and I realize that decisions are often based on a gut feeling. BTW, if you played around with the tremolo on both, how would you compare the Bigsby on the '59 with the Accent on the '64? Anyway, congratulations on your purchase. Buying your first Rick is a thrill. :D

Post Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:48 am 

hi Maxwell.
The difference was that I fell in love with the 325v59 first! At the same time, price wise, the 325c64 (made in 2011 and brand new) was a bit out of my range. The 325V59 was a used model, so there was a price difference there. At the same time, I figured, that it will be harder for me to buy a 325 natural (maple glow) finish since it is already discontinued. Also in my own opinion, I enjoyed the tone on the 325V59 for some reason. It seemed to have more power and oomph for me when I plugged it in and strummed a G chord and then D7 --intro to "Should have known better"(haha). But having said that, I also felt a lot comfortable playing the 325c64! I did not even notice that the guitar was in my hands for 10 minutes! hahaha. Which is why if all things work out, I get my 325V59 next month, then make a deposit on the 325c64.(if it is still available at that time)
As for the tremolo, I have to say that I did not even have the chance to play the accent vibrato on the C64. I was just playing that guitar, and strumming away. But I do remember the first time I came to the shop and played the 325V59. I played around with the Bigsby tremolo, and my impression was that it was pretty stable, meaning it did not go out of tune at all. So I was really happy with that as well. I remember that when I held that 325V59, I alternated with playing with it, pausing, then holding it out and looking closely at the natural wood finish, and then me telling myself "man...this is a GOOD looking guitar. Wow! And that F hole looks really good as well". Hahaha. Few minutes later, I was handing the shop owner the deposit :) Then I had to go back to work, as my lunch hour was over :)

Post Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:07 am 

Thanks for the reply, and a detailed one at that. I really enjoy reading guitar discovery and decision-making accounts. I'm sure your Rick is a beauty, and I look forward to seeing your photos when you take it home.

Post Posted: Thu May 03, 2012 4:02 pm 

hi folks...FINALLY the day has arrived! My first ever Rickenbacker! Please check out the pics below. This guitar is BEAUTIFUL and it has kept me up late last night. I picked it up from the shop last night. Included in the pictures is a photo of the Japan catalog where it appears that this model is based of 1960 325 model.

http://s1067.photobucket.com/albums/u426/karizawaman/

Thank you all for the kind replies earlier. Great great sound, and amazing to play. I am stunned how great sounding this guitar is.

all the best,

Ed
Tokyo Japan

Post Posted: Thu May 03, 2012 5:54 pm 

Ed, Congratulations, wow you got it. Thanks so much for telling us why you were drawn to that guitar in your previous post. I'm really wrapped for you as it seems to be the perfect guitar for you, and it sure is a beauty. That is a killer first RIC! Glad you got the catalog photo of that model, a reference and keepsake. I bet you didn't want to sleep the night you picked it up from shop. Again thanks for the update and new pic's

Post Posted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:51 pm 

Sorry for the double post. I'm not 100% certain but if your guitar was made in 1997, it could then well be a 325v59 Hamburg, they were built that year. Now to explain the F hole I'm guessing that must have been a special export model for Japan only. You have a fairly unique guitar in your hands. How many where made in that configuration with the F hole and Bigsby is anybodies guess but I bet it's rare. There may even be some records at RIC HQ of how many were made like this and sent to Japan. Maybe you could check the Ric resource forum someone may have registered one, but she is a rare bird, I'm not sure if anyone ever got one back into the USA via Japan. We may find out some more over time. It was very good to learn the serial number checked out fine! I don't have a clue what actual pups are in your guitar but you say it sounds good that's most important.

Post Posted: Fri May 04, 2012 4:34 am 

Thanks JBudweiser. Actually the shop owner classified this guitar as "325V59 Hamburg". This was the reason I actually went to the forums to get some input when I first considered to buy this guitar. During the initial part of my research, I could not find any info for a 325V59 with an F-hole.
At the end of the day, I finally have my first RIC in my hands, and I am very very satisfied and happy with my purchase. Again, thanks for the kind and encouraging comments! I will now open the guitar from the case, and start playing me some good ol rock and roll music!

Post Posted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:27 am 

That is, indeed, a Beauty! Congratulations!

Post Posted: Fri May 04, 2012 2:48 pm 

Hi Ed. Good news no wonder you say your Rickenbacker sound so good, it has 3 vintage toaster pickups. I looked at one photo and for some reason something didn't look right, but that was only the reflection of the strings on the pickups, I had a look at another photo, and it was clear as day light, you have toasters.

Toaster = best pickup ever made IMHO! You have 3 as was indeed the original pickups for the Hamburg (with F hole) You have a guitar that has everything going for it, no wonder your wrapped

This axe is a great purchase, it is a rare bird but so far everything seems to be
factory specs and original, all very good news

Board index » General Forum