Rickenbacker International Corporation - Forum
http://www.rickenbacker.com/forum/

How long will a Rickenbacker last?
http://www.rickenbacker.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15117
Page 1 of 4

Author:  steve4001 [ Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:56 pm ]
Post subject:  How long will a Rickenbacker last?

OK, so here's a topic for you. Will a Rick still be playable after 100? 200? 300 years? Everything else seems disposable by comparison. My bass is almost 40 years old and is rock solid.

Author:  cjj [ Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:59 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: How long will a Rickenbacker last?

Answer: No. Haven't you heard, the world is going to end this coming December...
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Author:  Rickenbrother [ Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:16 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: How long will a Rickenbacker last?

cjj wrote:
Answer: No. Haven't you heard, the world is going to end this coming December...
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Really? I thought it ended May 24, 2011. What are you still doing here? :lol: :mrgreen:

Seriously though, I can see a Rickenbacker lasting an infinite amount of time, as long as it's guardians though the years will maintain and care for it properly, not neglect or abuse it.

Author:  cassius987 [ Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:35 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: How long will a Rickenbacker last?

No modern version of an electric guitar (i.e., earliest Fenders and beyond) has made it 100 years yet. It's going to be interesting to see what happens to instruments that still have their original finish and hardware after all that time. At this point it seems a bit like speculation.

If my 1976 4001FL is any indication, a well-made Ric has a lot of life in it... probably more than its first owner. Is it weird that I find that comforting instead of morbid? It's like my granddad's Gibson tenor banjo from the 1950s... I'm sure he'd be glad to know someone is still playing it.

Author:  Ain'tGotNoPokemon [ Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:43 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: How long will a Rickenbacker last?

It's a well made instrument. It depends on how you take care of it.

Author:  steve4001 [ Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:10 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: How long will a Rickenbacker last?

Yeah, I'm talking about an instrument that is played regularly and is kept in a temperature and humidity controlled environment. A guitar smashed by Pete wouldn't qualify.

Author:  Ain'tGotNoPokemon [ Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:35 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: How long will a Rickenbacker last?

steve4001 wrote:
A guitar smashed by Pete wouldn't qualify.

Since many of those still hang on his wall, I think that's a testament to Ric quality. :lol:

Author:  Rickmaniac [ Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:47 am ]
Post subject:  Re: How long will a Rickenbacker last?

steve4001 wrote:
OK, so here's a topic for you. Will a Rick still be playable after 100? 200? 300 years? Everything else seems disposable by comparison. My bass is almost 40 years old and is rock solid.

My answer might be little rude but definitely full of truth. It will last for quite a long time. You'll be pushing daisies and someone else will be playing you guitar. :lol:

Author:  Rickenbrother [ Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:51 am ]
Post subject:  Re: How long will a Rickenbacker last?

Rickmaniac wrote:
steve4001 wrote:
OK, so here's a topic for you. Will a Rick still be playable after 100? 200? 300 years? Everything else seems disposable by comparison. My bass is almost 40 years old and is rock solid.

My answer might be little rude but definitely full of truth. It will last for quite a long time. You'll be pushing daisies and someone else will be playing you guitar. :lol:

This is very true, that's why you should enjoy your Ricks to the max during the time you have with them, not make them closet queens.

Author:  Ain'tGotNoPokemon [ Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:36 am ]
Post subject:  Re: How long will a Rickenbacker last?

Rickenbrother wrote:
Rickmaniac wrote:
steve4001 wrote:
OK, so here's a topic for you. Will a Rick still be playable after 100? 200? 300 years? Everything else seems disposable by comparison. My bass is almost 40 years old and is rock solid.

My answer might be little rude but definitely full of truth. It will last for quite a long time. You'll be pushing daisies and someone else will be playing you guitar. :lol:

This is very true, that's why you should enjoy your Ricks to the max during the time you have with them, not make them closet queens.

Closet queens? :shock: Well, I'm glad mine is out of the closet...

Page 1 of 4 All times are UTC - 8 hours
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/