Board index » General Forum

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Fakes - "rockinbetter"
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:46 am 

Hey there,

Today visiting a music store here in town (Brussels, Belgium) my eyes fell on this (what I thought was a) Rickenbacker bass. While looking at it, I was thinking to myself that something is a bit off with the proportions here. Is this a new model or what? Then checking the price tag I realized that something was way off. Finally checking the head at first I thought it said Rickenbacker, but reading twice I realized it was something else. Damn, are those fakes close to the originals ... Wouldn't this fall under some copyright infringement, or unfair competition clause?? I mean, I am a relatively seasoned Rickenbacker owner with several Rickenbacker guitars at home, and normally I would spot a fake quite fast. But I was actually surprised how this one almost fooled me ...

Post subject: Re: Fakes - "rockinbetter"
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:26 am 

Think many of us have had a similar experience. At a music store in Dessau, Germany, about ten years ago (before I owned a Rick), I saw either a 330 or 360 that seemed real to me, including the TRC, except for the price. The other indicator was that the inside of the guitar was painted JG like the rest of the guitar - probably from a spray booth. I knew even then that Ricks weren't painted on the inside.

The shame is that "brand" you mention is pretty widespread and even has a FB page. I'm sure it's on the radar of Rick legal, though, as these have been discussed at the other forum for a few years now.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:29 am 

A few months ago I got excited at seeing a bunch of 'Rics' in the corner....Got quite annoyed when I saw the name 'Rockinbetter' on them. I don't know how they get away with that either.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:33 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Dont' worry . . . things are happening and these stores will soon regret handling those products.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 

Board index » General Forum