Board index » General Forum

Post subject: New 'R' tailpiece
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:21 pm 

Well boys and girls, it's looking like I'm going to have to replace the R tailpiece on my '67 366/12. Noticed this while checking out the condition of the solder connections on the electronics.

First thing I noticed was cracking in the chrome in a lower corner and upon further examination, noticed a small crack in that same corner. Under a magnifying glass, it's in sort of an early stage but, it is definitely starting to separate.

This is unfortunate as I'm trying to keep this guitar as original as possible even though it is missing the 'comb' and stop stud.

So, at some point, I'll be sending it in to you, Mr. Hall, as soon as I find out what I need to do. :(

Attachments:
File comment: Crack in the R
cracked R_1.jpg [59.6 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

Post subject: Re: New 'R' tailpiece
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:42 am 

To update my situation, I sent an email request to the service department about the procedures for having my R tailpiece replaced. I'm not sure it got through though. I sent a follow up message and that one said it had been received but, it also said that there was an error in the transfer so, I'm not sure it got through. Maybe I should just call and set this thing up? 8)

Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:27 pm 

As long as you have the original "R" tailpiece saved, I'd think ordering a replacement one to bring the guitar back up to a reliable condition should make both you and the guitar happy.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:13 pm 

Well, I've tried three time to send a message about my situation to the service department and I don' think it's getting through. There seems to be some conflicting info being displayed after hitting the 'send' button. Conflict reads as follows:

Thank you. Your message has been sent.

CDO.Message.1 error '80040213'

The transport failed to connect to the server.

/corporate.asp, line 131

This doesn't make me confident that my message has gotten through so I guess I'll just call tomorrow. :?:

Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:48 pm 

From the service section of the website:

http://www.rickenbacker.com/faq_item.asp?faq_id=7

Post Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:23 am 

Just for an update, I received the proper information to acquire a new R tailpiece for my 366/12 and have sent it in to RIC. It should arrive their tomorrow.

This whole situation did something else as well. It got me to check out the different models of Ric's to see what is still made and what has been discontinued. Besides my 366/12, I have a 380LPZ that is no longer made. I believe I have one of the last ones made as I received mine in June of '03 after the obligatory waiting period. I also had, for many years, a 325/V59 which I recently sold.

I know the situation with the acoustics as it is apparently hard to find a proper luthier to run 'the shop'. Apparently this has not changed and I wonder if John Hall is still looking for someone. Would be great to see that operation start up again.

Anyway, as I was looking at the different models, I took a look at the 660 models. I've always wanted a 660/12 which lead me to search some on line stores to see if any where available. That's when I was looking on the 'Musicians Friend' site and ran across a few 660...6 strings. All of them in Mapleglo, there were three available and all had pics available for each. I found this to be quite 'finished' in their presentation. I could examine each one to see the differences in their appearance.

But, they were not the 12 string I had been pining for. At that moment, I had clarity. I realized that I already had a similar 12 string in a 620 model of which I had modified with toasters. I thought, if I was to purchase a 660/12, would it not be like getting another model of virtually the same guitar? I pondered and decided that this would truly be the case.

The little voice inside my head (from the dark side) said, "You could still have a 660! Does it matter if it's not a 12 string?"

My answer to myself was, "No, not really." Besides, I have 4 12 strings already, two of them Rics.

It was at that point I had made a decision. After again, examining the pics of the the 660 models on the MF site, I chose what appeared to be the most 'figured' one and purchased it! :mrgreen:

It will arrive at my door in a matter of hours!

It's funny how one can rationalize a purchase in this way. But, then again, I have been buying at least one guitar or amp or both each year for going on 11 years now. So, it's not too unusual! :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:11 pm 

Nothing like acquiring another piece of art that you can use to create more art.

Nevermind the Philistines who will tell you you just spent $K to just get a 1/16 inch increase in string spacing, but in a different color.

Each guitar you acquire that has a different personality is like gaining another extension to your own.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:50 am 

I'm never really in the market when checking out guitars but, this one jumped out at me and I'd been mulling over the purchase of a 660 for some time but it was a 12 string model. I'm glad I settled for a 6 string model though. Especially the one pictured. Boy, does it sound gooood! :D

It's definitely a keeper! :mrgreen:

Attachments:
660-6g_1.jpg [65.37 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

Post Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:05 am 

And now, we return you to the original subject of this thread. :D

I see that my broken R tailpiece has arrived at RIC! Along with the certified check for it's replacement. Hopefully the 'rebound' will come quickly so I can put my 366/12 back together again! :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:15 pm 

That's good news to hear things are progressing . Congratulations on the 660 by the way!

Board index » General Forum