Board index » General Forum

Post subject: central florida dealer needed
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:12 pm 

Dear John Hall,

It looks as though the only Florida dealer left on your website is Georges Music. I went on their website and can't find any Rics. I know that you guys still sell Sam Ash and there are several in Florida. I spoke with Kent Sonnanberg ( not sure of the spelling) at Legends Guitars in Tampa. Kent was a manager at Thoroughbred ( Elliott's store..now owns Dean Guitars) in Tampa for years. I can tell you as a simi-pro player for 30 years, that this IS the guitar place in Tampa. Same vibe as the old Thoroughbred only smaller. I do not have any affiliation with these guys other than it being a hub for visiting with other players and buying stuff (SWR rig recently). The guys that work there are all known as players from way back.If you are considering a REAL players outlet for Ric in Central Florida, please consider these guys. Kent has mentioned that he has tried to open with you and has $.

thanks!
mitch

Post subject: Re: central florida dealer needed
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:45 am 

Is Kent the guy in there who used to play with the famous Tampa band The Ravens?

(I used to shop at the old Thoroughbred when Elliot first started out in the store on [as I remember] North Nebraska [?]; back in the mid '70s, I bought an old, blonde Wurlitzer EP200 and a Bandmaster cabinet w/ JBLs. He cut me a heckuva deal; I had that speaker cabinet for decades.)

Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:20 pm 

I believe that that was one of the bands that he gigged with. I also remember the first tbred store on Nebraska!! Are you also from Tampa?? We may know each other?

thanks!
mitch

Post Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:40 am 

Quote:
Is Kent the guy in there who used to play with the famous Tampa band The Ravens?

(I used to shop at the old Thoroughbred when Elliot first started out in the store on [as I remember] North Nebraska [?]; back in the mid '70s, I bought an old, blonde Wurlitzer EP200 and a Bandmaster cabinet w/ JBLs. He cut me a heckuva deal; I had that speaker cabinet for decades.)

I thought the most famous band out of tampa are the outlaws, followed by savatage and john wesley.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:44 pm 

Actually Kent was not in Raven. Bo (bass player that works at legends) was. Another couple of big Tampa bands were "The Tropics" and "White Witch" from many years ago. Then there is Tampa's premier band for middle aged fund raiser types...my band "Fullcircle". Our guitarist sometimes plays Rics and I play Ric basses only?!?
(c64mg, 4004ciimg, 4004ciibb, 4003s8jg) I think I'm the only all Ric guy around!?!

Post Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:40 am 

I do remember the Tropics! They were great! They played Jacksonville on a fairly regular basis in the late 60's. I believe Tom Petty played bass in the Tropics way back when. They were an event when they played here. Their Beatles Medley was incredible. -Dr.Phil

Post Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:46 am 

Quote:
Dear John Hall,

It looks as though the only Florida dealer left on your website is Georges Music. I went on their website and can't find any Rics. I know that you guys still sell Sam Ash and there are several in Florida. I spoke with Kent Sonnanberg ( not sure of the spelling) at Legends Guitars in Tampa. Kent was a manager at Thoroughbred ( Elliott's store..now owns Dean Guitars) in Tampa for years. I can tell you as a simi-pro player for 30 years, that this IS the guitar place in Tampa. Same vibe as the old Thoroughbred only smaller. I do not have any affiliation with these guys other than it being a hub for visiting with other players and buying stuff (SWR rig recently). The guys that work there are all known as players from way back.If you are considering a REAL players outlet for Ric in Central Florida, please consider these guys. Kent has mentioned that he has tried to open with you and has $.

thanks!
mitch
John- I'd like to echo Mitch's comments. Kent Sonenberg (correct spelling) is something of a legend himself in the music business here in Florida. I'd be glad to drive the 3 1/2 hours to Tampa to buy a Rick from Kent. I've bought several pieces from him in the past, including a beautiful Gretsch 6120 re-issue and my first 370/12 McGuinn. He is the "genuine article". It would certainly be worth your time to make the call. I have his number if you like. -Dr.Phil

Post Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:22 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thank you, we're already well acquainted with this store.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:52 am 

Quote:
I do remember the Tropics! They were great! They played Jacksonville on a fairly regular basis in the late 60's. I believe Tom Petty played bass in the Tropics way back when. They were an event when they played here. Their Beatles Medley was incredible. -Dr.Phil

Almost right, Phil: AFAIK, Charlie Souza was The Tropics' only bass player from the beginning. Charlie played bass for Tom Petty's band back when TP gigged out of Gainsville. (Perhaps somebody in Tampa will alert Charlie to this thread and he can confirm or deny)

But you're absolutely correct (IMHO) about the Tropics' live show; seems like there was nothing those guys couldn't cover: their "A Day in the Life" was amazing. I particularly recall "Aquarius/Let the Sun Shine," with the aforementioned Charlie singing as high as Marilyn McCoo herself. Their original records, including "I Want More," "Black Jacket Woman,"and "For a Long Time" would probably hold up today. Word has it that "The New Tropics" recently re-recorded their regional hit "Time."

(And in a feeble attempt to keep this semi-on-topic, I think I recall Buddy Pendergrass, the "rhythm guitar player," with a fireglo 360/6 at some point.)

Post Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:34 am 

lets not forget white witch!!! Not one of my favorites, but a Tampa group non the less!!

mitch

Board index » General Forum