Board index » General Forum

Post subject: Unpacking Rics shipped in winter
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:00 am 

Hi - I have a question about unpacking a guitar shipped during winter. I have a 660-12 coming from New York (to Edmonton, Canada) and I was wondering what the recommended procedure is for unpacking it? I've read that one should wait anywhere between an hour and a day or more before removing the guitar from the box and case. Any thoughts or advice? Also, would someone explain what will happen if you don't wait (and why) for those of us seeking knowledge. Thanks everyone!

Post subject: Re: Unpacking Rics shipped in winter
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:24 am 

I would wait at least 8 hours in cold temps. Otherwise, the rapid temperature change could cause finish cracking.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:43 am 

I waited about four hours to open my 4003FG which came to Calgary from Texas. I waited until the case became warm to the touch. The bass was just fine. It was quite cold when it arrived.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:23 pm 

Personally, I would leave it in the box, in it's case for a good 12 hours, but I tend to be very cautious. I certainly would not go under 8 hours, but again that's just my preference.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:57 pm 

RIC CEO John Hall posted this on another subject but it pertains to your question:

"you may want to make that (waiting to open the guitar case) a minimum of 24 hours. Several hours of warming is virtually useless and if the instrument has been in freezing weather, when you open it, the instrument will not only condensate, the finish will likely crack within an hour."

So I would say if in doubt, let it warm up very gradually for much longer than 8 hours, especially if you think it was in the cold long enough to get close to freezing. The suspense will kill you but then there's that added anticipation and you will open an intact instrument!

MMM

Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:57 pm 

i realize the importance of getting the guitar to room temp, but damn, this would be like sitting in front of the xmass tree all day looking at yr presents without opening them..

chris

Post Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:58 am 

I just heard from the Music Zoo today - my 660-12 JG is on the way, via UPS. Luckily, I'm a very patient person (I teach Special Ed!) so waiting a day for this baby to warm up will be no problem at all. The problem was waiting and trying to find one! Thanks for the advice everyone.

Board index » General Forum