Board index » General Forum

Post subject: Smokie Cases
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:54 pm 

Last summer I bought a guitar in a very nice but smoky smelling hardshell case. After trying about everything that the internet had to offer to get rid of the smell, I finally sprayed the insides with a heavy dose of 50/50 white vinegar/water, let it sit closed for a few hours, then left it open outside for a couple of days to air out and the smell is about gone. Not to offend smokers, but it's much easier to live with now. I've seen many, many inquires about how to get rid of smoke smell. Hopefully this will help someone.

Post subject: Re: Smokie Cases
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:43 pm 

Dryer sheets, and/or leave it out in the sun for a little bit.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:58 am 

Leaving it in the sun for days last summer didn't have an effect on it, but I'm going to try the dryer towels you recommend, I've read about doing that before. It still has a slight smell to it. Poor thing must have been used as an ashtray. Never had this severe a problem before.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:21 pm 

...well, if you can't get rid of it, then it's time to get a new case.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:31 pm 

Ok try this! Firstly you need you know your going to get 3 sunny consecutive dry days or have some type of heated area at your disposal. Into 300 mls of boiling water place 10 drops of both peppermint oil and clove oil, a splash of your best after-shave and eucalyptus oil is really good if you can get it.

That should ''De Funk'' anything.

Mix it well in a jug then, let it cool a bit then pour the liquid onto a large facewasher and rub it all over the case, work it into the fabric ( Dry it off with a towel) and then sun is a must and drying must be 100% complete. If it still smells then repeat the process a few days later.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:57 am 

Well guys, what I did yesterday after using vinegar, then letting it sit outside in the sun was to put a couple sheets of fabric softener in it overnight. This morning I opened the case and now it smells like it was rescued from a whorehouse that caught on fire. I'm being a little over the top...I have it airing out again outside and think it might now be acceptable. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:38 am 

Now if it smells like it was rescued from a whorehouse that caught a blaze then all I can say is 'I hope you wore protection'!

Post Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:58 pm 

It's probably 'way too late in the day for the case above, tho' you never know, this may still work. I once rescued a smelly case using a home "dry cleaning" sheet instead of a regular dryer sheet. (The brand name here in Canada is "Dryel"- that may vary in other areas). The dry cleaner sheet had a much less pungent odor than the bouncy version, and part of it's chemical makeup seems to include odor absorption.

Next day, the case really had no bad smell, though there was a faint chemical odor. That went away after about 24 hours of leaving the case open, and the smells have stayed away now for about two years.

"We are all musician.."

Board index » General Forum