Board index » General Forum

Post subject: Blueburst "new" vs aging color
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:49 pm 

I bought a 360 BBR which stayed in its original carton since its birth in 2007, and will receive it shortly so I was thinking about how it will look vs time it was built.

First question - does a few years in the original box impact color or will I see the original color tone just like new ?

Second question - I was wondering how the burst had evolved based on BBR players in the forum, did you notice anything significant in color change since you've owned them, given it has now been 8 years for those built in 2005 for example ?

Post subject: Re: Blueburst "new" vs aging color
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:46 pm 

I have a Blueburst 4004Cii that was built in 2005. It's sees a significant amount of playing time, but when I'm not playing it, it rests in it's case. I have not seen a noticeable color change, most likely because I don't leave it out when I'm not playing it. However, should the clearcoat yellow somewhat and the middle turns greenish, I think it would look really cool.

Post Posted: Wed May 01, 2013 5:45 am 

Here's a question. Blueburst i understand was colour of the year in 2005.
I have a BBR 4003 that was built in 2007. Have i got a one off for the year or did Ric carry on the colour for a while?
I purchased it brand new when i lived in the UK and it is a genuine Rickenbacker.
The colour has stayed the same and like Joey,mine lives in the case when I'm not playing.
My Jetglo is just as black too after 7 years. :lol: :lol:
Any answers would be most welcome.
Thanks.

Post Posted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:05 am 

I think I've seen a BBR that turned purple. That was cool. In my experience if a finish "wants" to oxidize, it will whether it stays in the case or not. Of course RIC may have something else to say on the matter about exposing the finish to light or air, but I've heard plenty of stories of stuff changing while it sat in a case too.

BBR orders were taken in 2005 but due to the backlog were fulfilled up to 3 years later, I think.

Post Posted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:12 am 

Snakey wrote:
Here's a question. Blueburst i understand was colour of the year in 2005.
I have a BBR 4003 that was built in 2007. Have i got a one off for the year or did Ric carry on the colour for a while?

The "Year" part of COY means that was the only year that orders were accepted. RIC didn't make all of them during the particular year, but rather, kept making them until all orders were filled, which sometimes took a few years to complete...

Post Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:19 am 

cjj wrote:
The "Year" part of COY means that was the only year that orders were accepted. RIC didn't make all of them during the particular year, but rather, kept making them until all orders were filled, which sometimes took a few years to complete...

Thanks for the explanation CJJ,much appreciated. :D

Post Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:41 pm 

Thank you all for your feedback, I received the 360 BBR earlier this week and it actually has darker burst than I imagined it, but it is stunning. I agree with Rickenbrother, as yellow and green shades appear, it will look even better !

Post Posted: Sun May 05, 2013 7:34 pm 

Rich G. Congratulatations on your new 360, I'm glad you like it's present colour ;) , I'm not sure how long it will take to go a greenish shade, however I hear it probably takes at least a decade or so. It might not be good to hold yourself in suspence for that long. Patients will be your best bet!

Maybe someone can tell you how long it took for their Blueburst to change green.

It's just like the stunning model said '' It won't happen overnight, but it will happen''! :lol: :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:06 am 

Has anyone seen this color transformation? If you have, would you post on the forum. Enjoy you new 360.

360/6 FG
360/12C63 FG
Gretsch G6122-1962 country gentleman
Fender Strat
Vox AC30

Board index » General Forum