Board index » General Forum

Post subject: Lefty 360/12 will I ever see it?
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:11 pm 

I ordered a lefty 360/12 in Fireglo on May 5,2012 from a local NH dealer and, put a good size deposit on it. I was told about a week later " according to the factory rep, lefties are made when they reach a certain number of orders. Then all orders are filled. It shouldn't be too long".

It has now been 14 months. Today the dealer called me and said they received an e-mail from the factory that acknowledged the guitar was still on order but, with no indication of if and when the order will be filled. He asked if I wanted my money back because he has no confidence the order will be filled.

I know there have been new lefties delivered to other dealers during the past year. That seems to shoot the "fill all the orders" theory down.

I've waited almost 40 years to be able to order my RIC. It's an iconic guitar that I was hoping I could own and play someday before I croak. It now feels like it ain't going to happen. I don't plan on croaking anytime soon but, now I'm thinking I shouldn't expect to own a RIC and should move on to another brand.

So, what gives? Should I get my money back or wait?

Any input here would be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Lefty 360/12 will I ever see it?
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:13 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's a pretty fresh order by our standards, unfortunately.

Looking at the production schedule, I see a number of lefties coming up later this month . . . but not this model and color. Beyond that, no more lefties will be produced this year.

Perhaps that will help your decision.

Also for what it's worth, we haven't required deposits for several years now, so that would have been your dealer's own policy.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:24 am 

jjfinn wrote:
I ordered a lefty 360/12 in Fireglo on May 5,2012 from a local NH dealer and, put a good size deposit on it. I was told about a week later " according to the factory rep, lefties are made when they reach a certain number of orders. Then all orders are filled. It shouldn't be too long".

It has now been 14 months. Today the dealer called me and said they received an e-mail from the factory that acknowledged the guitar was still on order but, with no indication of if and when the order will be filled. He asked if I wanted my money back because he has no confidence the order will be filled.

I know there have been new lefties delivered to other dealers during the past year. That seems to shoot the "fill all the orders" theory down.

I've waited almost 40 years to be able to order my RIC. It's an iconic guitar that I was hoping I could own and play someday before I croak. It now feels like it ain't going to happen. I don't plan on croaking anytime soon but, now I'm thinking I shouldn't expect to own a RIC and should move on to another brand.

So, what gives? Should I get my money back or wait?

Any input here would be appreciated.

Hi JJ,

The only left handed I've seen is at Musicians Friend it' in FG but it's 6 string. You might check out ebay, sometimes you get lucky. Good luck.

360/6 FG
360/12C63 FG
Gretsch G6122-1962 country gentleman
Fender Strat
Vox AC30

Post Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:47 pm 

Thank you for the reply . I've set my expectations for 18-24 months so maybe that time frame is realistic. I don't have a problem with the deposit (unless he goes out of business) so we both know I'm committed to the order.

At this point I wouldn't go somewhere else to buy a RIC. I think it is important to support the local dealers - they get to know me, treat me right and get good support.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:16 pm 

I just ordered a lefty 330/6 from my local dealer and was told that it would take between 12-18 months. I have patience and can wait but if I'm understanding correctly, does this mean that RIC may never fill the order???? Is RIC no longer taking lefty orders?

Post Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:42 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

330's and 360's in left handed are much more common, in fact those being produced at the end of this month are of those models. Indeed, we are taking leftie orders for most models and as more are received, the sooner they will appear.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:52 am 

At one point a few years ago, I had six left-handed Rickenbackers and I still have three of them. However, I swear that if I ever get my hands on a six string 660 LH, my guitar buying days would be over. :D

730S Shiloh LH

Post Posted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:32 am 

Still waiting on a 360 6 lefty myself

Post Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:32 am 

I appreciate the information from the Site Administrator but i would not hold my breathe on seeing any lefty 360's this year or anytime soon although the post on july 17th says both 330's and 360's are in the works for this year unless that has changed.

Again i want to thank Mr. Hall for the swift and insightful reply. He knows what is going on and i might suggest that whatever your Music Dealer tells you should be taken with a grain of salt.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:55 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes, I misspoke. It's only 330LH's that are coming up shortly.

Board index » General Forum