Board index » General Forum

Post subject: 325c64 TRC
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:59 am 

I recently bought my dream guitar and 2nd RIC, last week. Apparently, Guitar Center in Orlando had a used 325c64 that was virtually unplayed. According to the rep, the person who special ordered the guitar changed his mind when the guitar arrived and didn't even leave the store with it. When I asked why it was listed as used, the rep said that technically because it was already ordered and paid for, they had to sell it as a used item, which didn't make much sense to me. Either way, I offered 3K and they shipped her to me.

Now for my question, which I hope you guys can help me out with. 3K is a lot for me and I obviously want to make sure this RIC is legit in EVERY way. I carefully inspected her and compared her to my 360v64, which I've had for 10 years. I noticed that the TRC on the 325 was different. The lettering on the 325 has "blurry" edges, where as the 360's lettering is very sharp. Could this be a fake TRC? or is this Rickenbacker's way of completely replicating the original? With the exception of the blurry lettering and some bridge buzzing (apparently a normal thing with these gtrs) she smells like a RIC, sounds unbelievable, I love the 3/4 scale, sounds amazing through my ac30. I have 22 days left to return for my money back. Please help.

Post subject: Re: 325c64 TRC
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:48 pm 

My understanding is that the TRC on your Ric 325C64 most closely and accurately matches Lennon's original 1964 Miaimi. Reason? John Hall Posted some back that in 1964 the way they did those TRCs was to silk screen the brand name using a silk screen process as the technology of those 1964 times allowed for. .

I also own a 325C64 that I purchased brand new from a Ric dealer back in 2006

Post Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:14 am 

Thanks Davclr, so I take it that your TRC's lettering is also a bit blurry on the edges. That makes me feel better. Btw, does your 325 have the saddle buzz? I absolutely love playing this guitar, so much so that I could overlook a buzz for the next few years while it ages. I'm also searching for a 325v59. Dang RIC with its beautiful guitars.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:42 pm 

Negative:
My 2006 year manufactured 325C64 has no buzz.
My understanding though is that sometimes those old roller bridges from that era do sometimes buzz until they are skillfully tweaked out. Lotsa folks forget that with the C series instruments you are buying "a historic reproduction" of the original instrument and so comes some known issues that newer models don't have.
All I know is that I LOVE my 325 Miami and it's definitely a head turner. (But, not a Tina Turner).

... French vintage Champagne and Cuban cigars definitely can give me a buzz.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:52 pm 

Hmmm, three thousand and you get buzzing and probably a fake TRC?

I just got my 325c64 Miami two months ago and the writing on the TRC is razor sharp. If you have 22 days left to return her, you should consider that. Explain that the TRC is a fake. Show it to them. No way should it be blurry. Take two hundred off (the price these TRC's go for on ebay) or you return the guitar. Shop around right now for another new 325. Believe it or not, you overpaid for yours by about $300-$400.

Regarding blurry TRCs. If you can get two hundred back from the store, take it and keep the guitar. So what, your TRC is a bit blurry. You can live with that, no? When I switched to gold plastic on my Ric 330 I had to make my own TRC and to be honest the lettering sure ain't razor sharp. But the guitar is great so the blurry edged TRC doesn't matter at all.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:38 pm 

I've decided to return the guitar and instead placed an order for a brand new one. She ships Jan 31st. I also ordered the python strap. I can live with paying full price but knowing that she is mint and 100% authentic.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:20 pm 

I just received my new 325c64. I returned the used one to Guitar Center, in case anyone here is interested in buying it. I've gotta say that the TRC lettering is sorta the same as the last one, but no bridge buzz. I also feel as though the fretboard is a slightly different color, I'm actually sure of this. Does anyone know if they variate stains used on these fretboards? Just curious.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:14 pm 

miamiRICfan wrote:
I just received my new 325c64. I returned the used one to Guitar Center, in case anyone here is interested in buying it. I've gotta say that the TRC lettering is sorta the same as the last one, but no bridge buzz. I also feel as though the fretboard is a slightly different color, I'm actually sure of this. Does anyone know if they variate stains used on these fretboards? Just curious.

Funny that the lettering is a bit blurry on this on this one, and they were different year makes I suppose! However it's a heck of a nice guitar, plus brand spanking new.

Any photo's plus one of the TRC lettering would be great.

As for variation in neck color, Rickenbacker have changed neck timber. You will find the details from a search. This maybe the answer, depends on which year the previous guitar was made. Glad to hear no bridge buzz, wish I owned it and could get my dirty little fingers on that fretboard. I washed my hands in muddy water but they never come clean! Remember play it and enjoy it, leave any adjustments until the guitar has had a good run in period. I wish I could run it in for you!

Post Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:34 am 

They have used Caribbean rosewood for a while on the fretboard , some vintage reissues may still have African rosewood. I would say that some variation in color would exist even in the same species. Even age and use will change the shade, it usually gets deeper.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:05 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

jbudweiser wrote:
They have used Caribbean rosewood for a while on the fretboard , some vintage reissues may still have African rosewood.

ALL vintage reissues have African Rosewood fingerboards for the sake of authenticity.

As far as variation is concerned, we're dealing with wood here- not plastic. Each piece is totally distinctive.

Board index » General Forum