Board index » General Forum

Post subject: RIC's Can Rock-Jingle - Jangle Misconception
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:57 am 

Hey guy's just wanted to talk and see if anyone else here was as frustrated as me with the whole association with the clean jingle jangle only tone of Rickenbacker's.

It drives me nuts that other guitar owners of Les Paul's or Stratocasters seem to think that Ric's are only good for that jingle jangle sound and nothing else.

I personally play distorted blues music on my Ric and I've played such music as Clapton, Allman Brothers, Neil Young, Gary Moore, S.R.V.,Skynyrd, Buddy Guy and so on and I have nailed each tone perfectly with slight tweaks to the amp or a pedal.

My point is I've owned and played every guitar brand at one time or another and the Ric 360 happens to be my favorite, because of it's versatility and ease of play, but by most other blues or rock players it is shunned and avoided because of the jingle jangle sound it gained it's fame for back in the 60's by the Byrds and the Beatles.

Now granted I do absolutely love the jingle jangle tone, I think we all do, but it is not by any means the limit of Rickenbacker tones, some think it's a sin to play a Ric distorted and I think it's just unleashing the beast within....and I love the varied tones it can get.

What do you guy's think about this "Jingle Jangle" only label put on Rics?

Post subject: Re: RIC's Can Rock-Jingle - Jangle Misconception
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:06 am 

If you have ever seen any early photo's of Stevie Ray, he played a Rickenbacker "Capri" model. I watched a documentary on him and he played that Ric "Capri" in the early stages of his career!

Post subject: Re: RIC's Can Rock-Jingle - Jangle Misconception
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:50 am 

If anyone ever had any doubt a Rick can drive the bus: Mike Campbell.

Board index » General Forum